As a Customer Success Manager at Customer.io, you’ll act as the project manager for the successful onboarding of accounts, and dedicated, ongoing support for your assigned customers. Tasked with getting general or strategic questions answered for new customers, you’ll collaborate with technical support, sales, and engineering (when appropriate).
We don’t need you to be an expert at marketing – but rather, an expert at getting questions answered and influencing the customer to make progress and move through blockers. You won’t necessarily be a data or technical expert but will be keen to get a good understanding of our app so that you can take a use case and leverage our features to make your customer successful.
You’ll be working with our customers who opt into a Premium plan with us, and closing their renewal plans when the time comes.
Some things you’ll do:
- Transition calls with key stakeholders to outline the general onboarding plan and timetable
- Conversations with customers to unearth reasons why messaging matters to them and help them plan, implement, and follow through with their messaging goals
- Planning and organization of the data customers will send to their Customer.io account, and how they’ll use it to power effective campaigns and newsletters
- Being your customer’s first point of contact to provide them with dedicated support and initial troubleshooting. We don’t expect you to know all of the answers, but you will gather information and receive help from TS, Product, and Engineering to solve problems
- Following up with customers ~1x/month after the onboarding process is complete
- Assessing the customer’s plan for growth, and keeping them on a good path to renewing their agreement with us each year
- Handling said renewals with assistance from our billing team
- You’re curious and enjoy learning about different businesses and industries
- You’ve got a thirst for knowledge, and are keen to understand our app
- Creative problem solver who can understand the customer problem and find the best solution regardless of what the customer is asking for
- We often find ourselves in situations like this: A customer completed their integration with Customer.io. They want to create a complex, time-sensitive campaign but their engineers are unavailable to help the marketer interpret their data for setting up this campaign. How do you help them?
- You’re calm under stress and not easily rattled
- You enjoy solving problems independently but aren’t afraid to ask for help or collaboration when you need to
What we’re looking for:
- You’ve worked in a company doing customer success or another customer-facing role
- You have a background in SaaS
- You have experience communicating with software developers in a technical capacity
- You’re opinionated about customer experience for a business and in general. In order to give strategic advice to customers, you should have well formed opinions!
- Bonus points: You’ve been responsible for designing lifecycle messages
- Extra consideration will be given to applicants in the PST timezone who can manage our clients on the West Coast
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 1,400 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $72,000 USD depending on experience and subject to market rate.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- 20 days PTO – we offer 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 6 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- Monthly health and wellness allowance that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – we’ll help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – to ensure your essential needs are met, we reimburse team members for their monthly internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Professional development allowance – to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Company retreats twice a year – we typically get together IRL every spring and fall, but most recently had an amazing virtual retreat!
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
We work hard to build a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment where everyone has the opportunity to learn and grow. Diverse teams create better products and stronger companies, and we encourage applicants from underrepresented groups to apply.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply with the link below by 5pm PST June 1st and tell us why you’re interested in the position! In your cover letter, be sure to tell us the title of the last book you read. There is no advantage to applying early so put your best foot forward. We plan to conduct the first round of video interviews June 3 – 5th and will respond to all applicants by June 3rd with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process:
- 30 minute video call with our People Operations Manager
- 30 – 45 minute video call with the Hiring Manager
- 30 minute video call with two potential teammates
- Approximately one week to learn a little more about our product and prepare for a mock customer call
- 45 minute video call – mock customer call + feedback / next steps with the Hiring Manager and a potential team member