The Motley Fool is looking for a highly skilled freelance writer with subject matter expertise in stock analysis. Our writers contribute 20 articles per month at a minimum (but often much more than that), and help demystify the world of finance by covering market insights and stock news across industries including tech, artificial intelligence, consumer goods, financials, energy & industrials, healthcare, and more. If you have particular expertise in a certain stock sector (or sectors), please let us know. Candidates without strong professional writing experience will not be considered.
This contract opportunity is flexible and 100% remote, but candidates must reside in the United States for consideration.
NOTE: We’re always keeping our eyes open for strong writers to join our Foolish Fold. As this is an ongoing job posting, please be patient with our response times! We review candidates once per month and will get every applicant an answer one way or another.
Who Are We?
We are The Motley Fool, a purpose-driven financial information and services firm with more than 30 years of experience focused on making the world smarter, happier, and richer. But what does that even mean?! It means we’re helping Fools (always with a capital “F”) demystify the world of finance, beat the stock market, and achieve personal wealth and happiness through our products and services.
Since our founding, we’ve cut through the noise and jargon to help people understand the financial world in general and their own finances in particular.
Today, we do it at a fairly large scale (50 million page views/month). And we’d like your help as we continue to grow!
The Motley Fool is firmly committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a motley group of overachievers that have built a culture of trust founded on Foolishness, fun, and a commitment to making the world smarter, happier and richer. However you identify or whatever winding road has led you to us, please don’t hesitate to apply if the description leaves you thinking, “Hey! I could do that!”
What Does This Team Do?
The Motley Fool’s Fool.com editorial team works to publish the BEST content to our award-winning site. They’re a motley crew who are highly motivated, innovative, versatile, and comfortable driving content and editorial strategy from conception through execution in a fast-paced and high-growth environment. And while their gut instinct can take them so far, they know very well the power of data and harness it with every critical choice they make.
What Would You Do in This Role?
With support from our editors, you’ll have the opportunity to share your thoughtful stock analysis! We cover companies in all sectors, from Apple to offshore drillers to Gilead Sciences to regional banks. We want writers who can publish at least 20 articles per month. Our most successful writers publish many more than this.
In a turbulent industry, our track record of financial stability stands out. Our writers tend to stay with us for years – many have been here a decade or two!
But What Would You Actually Do in this role?
- Collaborate with editors to produce insightful stock analysis (our articles usually range from 600-800 words).
- Cover companies across various sectors (including tech, electric vehicles, offshore drillers, healthcare, and regional banks).
- Write and publish a minimum of 20 articles per month.
- Use the article-level data your editors provide to pursue the most profitable article topics and angles.
- Use proven SEO strategies to boost article performance.
- File your articles in a Fool-created content management system.
- You share our driving passion for teaching the world about the stock market.
- You’re a skilled writer AND analyst, and you’re ready to send us samples of your work.
- You have a strong understanding of The Motley Fool’s investment philosophy.
- You have experience writing about financial topics and have written for another financial publication in the past.
- You have the ability to write in our Foolish tone! We’re informative but never patronizing. Our goal is to demystify the world of finance in a fun and thoughtful way.
- You are awesome (but you already knew that)!
To start, we pay you $140 per article (600-800 words). Once you’re offered a contract after a trial period, you’ll also receive variable performance bonuses monthly.