The Substack Community team’s mission is to accelerate and celebrate writers. One of the most powerful tools we have for accelerating writers is our programs. In the past, our small team has launched fellowships for independent writers, Substack Local grants, mentorship programs, and more.
We’ve taken the first steps in forging what these programs can entail, but we think there is a lot more we can do for writers. We’re looking for a Community Programs Lead who will streamline and expand the programs Substack offers writers. Ideally, this person is based in San Francisco or NYC.
- Drive the strategy and execution of Substack’s programs to develop writers. These programs connect nascent writers to each other and to the things they need to succeed on Substack (e.g. design support, editing, strategic guidance)
- Project manage a cross-functional team through each program cycle – from announcing the program and vetting applicants, to recipient onboarding and workshops
- Establish and sustain meaningful relationships with writers, judges, participants, and alumni
- Refine our existing programs for writers so they align with company-wide goals
- Scale our programs to more writers in key strategic categories, and across regions. Build and manage the team that can realize that expansion
- 5+ years’ experience in community programs or project management
- Experience working at a high-growth company with cross-functional teams
- Attention to detail
- Enthusiasm for establishing meaningful relationships with writers
- Understanding of the writing ecosystem, including writers, platform ecosystem, and expectations
- Proven ability to collaborate on high-profile cross-functional projects with several key internal and external stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial spirit. Eagerness to build programs from scratch with minimal direction or guidance
Substack is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We’re seeking people passionate about enabling independent expression and building a better business model for creators. If you want to see what media, communities, and content can become when unmoored from advertising models, and you have the skills and experience to contribute, we’d love to meet you.