At Apartment List, we’re on a mission to find every renter a home they love at the value they deserve. Finding the right place to live is one of the most important, time-consuming and expensive decisions that all of us make. Getting it right matters. We’ve helped nearly 1 million families find a home they love, and we’re just getting started.
As the VP of People, you will be responsible for leading Apartment List’s people strategy and operation with a specific focus on building and shaping our high performing, inclusive culture. You will drive robust talent and leadership development programming, fortify impactful and far-reaching DEI initiatives, earn the trust of employees and leaders alike, hold leaders accountable to people goals, and be a steward of our incredible culture.
We take our A-Listers as seriously as anything we do at Apartment List. We are as passionate about our people as we are our mission and it is imperative that our VP of People lives this commitment every day. This role reports directly to the CEO.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Lead and develop our dynamic People team, including the People Operations, HR Business Partnering, DEI, and Talent Acquisition functions
- Lead our executives and leadership team in bringing Apartment List’s mission and vision to life through the design, communication, and execution of our people strategies and programming (performance management, compensation philosophies, etc.)
- Make people development core to how we enable performance and business success through Iterating and evolving our L&D programs to better uplevel our talent and enable career growth and advancement
- Prioritize and enhance our diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) programming to define and drive a high impact, high accountability culture
- Establish operational scalability to ensure that proper people policies, processes, tools, and systems are in place that solve current problems and prepare the company for future growth
- Craft and deploy effective employee engagement and retention strategies across our Virtual First work environment to ensure an extraordinary employee experience
- Enhance our recruiting strategy and operation to attract diverse, world-class talent in a rapidly changing talent landscape, with a focus on employer brand
Here are the skills and experience you’ll need to be successful:
- 12+ years experience growing and managing multiple functions within the People organization (compensation, benefits, L&D, Talent Acquisition, onboarding, workplace, engagement, etc.)
- Demonstrated understanding of business goals and ability to inspire and harness our most important asset (people) to achieve them
- Experience designing and leading DEI initiatives with proven results for hiring, development, engagement, and retention
- Dynamic people leader with experience guiding geographically-dispersed, high-growth companies through the complexities of rapid scaling
- Experience leading a company through public company readiness is a significant plus
Here’s the type of Leader are we looking for:
- You are a dynamic leader who is energized by leading a fast-paced mission-driven growth organization through its various chapters of scale
- You believe deeply that unlocking high-performing talent and emerging leaders is the key to long term success and scale
- You are creative, agile, and adept, and have a track record of building trust and credible relationships across all levels of an organization
- You are passionate about People and are constantly learning from the outside to help inform your approach to your craft
- You embody a high output, low ego, hands-on approach to guide program design and strategic decision-making
- Your EQ matches your IQ and realize soft skills are as critical as hard skills in leading a dynamic team
- You are a strategic, innovative thinker who champions a direct-feedback culture – you ask challenging and difficult questions, push the current thinking, and drive change
Here’s the Pay Range:
At Apartment List, we carefully consider a variety of factors to determine compensation for each position, including the role, level, and work. The US base salary range for this position is $240,000 – $270,000 + equity, which reflects the compensation target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Please note, the compensation details reflect base salary only and do not include bonus, benefits, and perks that we offer.
We also rely on market indicators along with considering your work location, job related skills, experience and relevant education and training, to determine compensation that is fair and competitive for you. Apartment List will consider paying compensation near the higher of the range in exceptional circumstances, where candidates have the experience, credentials or expertise that would warrant such consideration. It is always our goal to hire exceptional talent and we would be happy to share more about compensation during the hiring process.
Here’s what’s in it for you (full-time employees only):
- 100% Remote: Work from wherever you want (within the US)
- Competitive Compensation: Including annual salary, pre-IPO stock options, and other financial compensation (if applicable)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage: 100% of premiums covered for you AND all of your dependents
- Unlimited Flexible Time Off: Unlimited FTO in addition to 11 company holidays per year, quarterly “recharge” days, and a week-long holiday break
- Home Office Reimbursement: To cover home office furniture and supplies, monthly home internet, and monthly cell phone (if applicable)
- Health & Wellness Reimbursement: To cover monthly gym membership or other qualifying expenses
- Parental Support: Generous parental and family leave, fertility benefits, and employer-sponsored stipends towards family forming services
- 401k Plan: To support you in your individual retirement goals
- Team Events: Frequent team-building events, fun team off-sites, and bi-annual company meetups (ski trip, etc.)
- Commitment to DEI: To prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within our workplace and to stay true to our values and mission
- Mentorship and Training: To get you onboard quickly, learn new professional skills, and invest in your career development
- Impact and Visibility: To expose you to and provide the opportunity to work on highly strategic initiatives that will transform the business
- Encouragement and Empowerment: To explore and adopt new technologies and drive meaningful decisions and outcomes
At Apartment List we believe that everyone deserves a home they love AND a career they love. We strive to build a diverse team that is a reflection of the people we serve; this is made possible through our commitment to fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and connectedness.
As a proud equal opportunity employer, we celebrate the collection of individual differences, life experiences, ideas, perspectives, knowledge, and talent. We hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status.
This is a fully remote position within the US. #LI-Remote