At VSCO, our mission is to nurture creativity so you can make it. We are a leading photo and video editor with a library of 200+ premium quality presets and tools, an easy-to-use video editor, and a curated collection of photography of all genres, styles and aesthetics from our global community of talented creators. We are looking for humble overachievers and self-starters who are naturally curious, highly organized, and thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. We foster a culture of collaboration, inclusion, ambition, and progress.
We’re looking for a Staff Server Engineer to provide technical leadership and design, write and release software which will shape the foundations of the VSCO Economy domain. In this role, you will be part of the team which owns the Fintech back-end for VSCO. You will contribute to and influence existing product OKRs through end-to-end ownership and deep understanding of the broader vision for VSCO economy. You will also mentor other engineers and influence the engineering practices of the organization. Developing and launching VSCO Economy is a critical strategy for the future of the company’s success.
- Design and build highly-scaled backend services and systems
- Collaborate with other engineers on the team to solve difficult and exciting distributed system design and implementation problems
- Build clean, testable, maintainable, and idiomatic code, and drive the team forward in relation to code quality
- Identify and fix issues to improve scalability, performance, and simplicity of our systems
- Lead initiatives and collaborate with Product Management, Data Science, Design, Engineering, and Research team
- 8+ years of experience developing backend systems
- Deep knowledge of distributed systems
- Deep understanding of modern design patterns
- Experience with Go/Golang and Kafka/RabbitMQ (or any other asynchronous messaging mechanisms)
- Experience with event-driven architectures and underlying distributed patterns
- Fundamental understanding of concurrency and multithreading patterns
- Experience with and great command of at least one of the following API interfaces (GraphQL, REST and/or gRPC)
- Experience with at least one type of NoSQL and one SQL-based database technology
- Strong software engineering best practices (e.g. coding, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Experience leading development of complex, high-impact projects
- Experience mentoring and collaborating with junior engineers
- Experience working on full stack teams, collaborating closely with iOS, Android, and web engineers
- Guide migrations from monolithic architectures to microservice-based architectures and implement modern design patterns
- Exposure to at least one mainstream cloud provider (AWS preferably, GCP, and/or Azure)
- Exposure to and experience with good CI/CD practices and tools (i.e use of GithubActions, CircleCI, Kubernetes, Docker etc…)
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and/or related field
Nice to haves
- Background in financial technology (fintech) or payments
- Background in user authentication and exposure to auth protocols
- Ability to drive product requirements and architecture discussions
- Interest in building something new and working cross-functionally and collaboratively to do so
- Eagerness to learn and grow within VSCO
- MS or higher in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and/or related field
- A virtual first workplace with quarterly company-wide travel events to connect and play.
- Competitive Salary & Equity
- Healthcare insurance, vision, dental insurance for employees and families
- Flexible vacation policy
- Creative Fridays, VSCO Create weeks (our version of hack week), and so much more.
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
We believe in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.
The base salary for this position may vary based on several factors, including the approved job level. The base salary range for this role is $193,000 – $207,000. Salary is one component of our total compensation package. This position also qualifies for bonuses and equity (i.e. stock options). The benefits available for this position include flexible time off, a 401K retirement plan, insurance (medical, dental, vision, life/AD&D, short and long term disability), and 11 paid holidays. We also provide paid sick time as required by state and local law. Additional benefits and perks are also offered for this position.
Please note: At VSCO, we take the health and safety of our employees and their families seriously. Because this position will require regular travel for company events, it is required that the successful candidate of this role shows proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, VSCO will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated in accordance with applicable federal, state, provincial, and local law.