Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. Etsy, Inc.’s ‘house of brands’ portfolio has expanded to now include four individually distinct ecommerce brands — Etsy, fashion resale marketplace Depop, musical instrument marketplace Reverb, and Brazil-based handmade goods marketplace Elo7. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
What’s the role?
We are looking for a software engineer to join the Personalization Platform in order to better understand Etsy’s unique inventory and enable personalized recommendations and ranked content for product teams across Etsy.
The Knowledge Base team is passionate about and dedicated to building an in-depth understanding of the unique world of Etsy. Our goal is to build, collect, and model product metadata to make sense of millions of unique items and users, enabling Etsy’s teams to craft relevant experiences. We are responsible for the end-to-end process of describing, collecting, enhancing and serving product and user structured data to our internal partner teams.
As a Software Engineer on the Knowledge Base Platform team you will be responsible for building our infrastructure and tooling that improves speed-to-delivery for important product and user structured data. You will be collaborating closely with our data scientists, taxonomists, ontologists, and product teams. Do you find joy in solving extremely complex problems, such as how to define the entities within a completely unique and handmade marketplace? If so, this could be the perfect match!
Our production systems rely on Scala, Python, PHP, and React; we are proud to have an engineering culture that encourages career growth and learning. Learn more about our philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we’ve been solving on our Engineering blog, Code as Craft.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the U.S. who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Build and contribute at all levels of Etsy’s knowledge base platform stack, ranging from application interfaces to the serving layer.
- Work closely and collaboratively with various engineering teams participating in design, prioritization, and implementation.
- Work closely with Taxonomists, Ontologists, and Applied Scientists to centralize concepts as well as mapping of business entities (e.g. listings) to those concepts.
- Work closely with fellow Knowledge Base Platform engineers and Product teams to scale data access and continuously improve data consumption experience.
- Provide detailed and constructive design and code reviews
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Validated software engineering and coding skills, including CS fundamentals like data structures and algorithms.
- Experience with working on object-oriented programming languages like Python, Java, Scala, etc.
- Experience with building large-scale, low-latency distributed systems and working within a machine learning environment at scale.
- Successful track record of collaborating with machine learning scientists, product managers, data analysts, and designers
- Ability to think analytically and understand how to wield data to make informed decisions about your work.
- Shown success in turning ideas into deeply reliable and well-tested code with an eye towards maintainability.
- Familiarity with (or curiosity about) machine learning and related frameworks (like PySpark, Spark, etc).
- A trust in and commitment to Etsy’s vision, mission and values.
- You may have experience with a few of the following: building and maintaining highly scalable Knowledge Base and/or Knowledge Graph systems, using semantic web technologies (e.g. RDF, SPARQL, SHACL, OWL, SKOS), XSD, knowledge of ontology implementation tools (e.g. Smartlogic Semaphore, webprotege), graph science analysis and algorithms.
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We’re open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.