At Cars.com, we help shoppers meet their perfect car match, and people find their perfect career match. As one of the top places to work in Chicago, according to The Chicago Tribune, Built-In Chicago and others, we pride ourselves on a culture of growth and innovation.
Cars.com has revolutionized the automotive industry for both shoppers and sellers through technology and solutions for buyers and sellers alike. We never shy away from a challenge, move fast, collaborate across functions to approach problems from every angle. We’ve built a culture that’s second-to-none and share core values that keep everyone working full-speed at the same goals with the same open, outcome-driven and bold attitudes.
Cars.com is a CARS brand. CARS includes the following brands: Cars.com, Dealer Inspire, DealerRater, FUEL, CreditIQ & Accu-Trade. Learn more here!
About the Role:
The SEO Copywriter is an individual contributor role inside the SEO Department, responsible for creating unique content for SEO clients based on strategic goals identified by SEO Specialists. Copywriters work under the supervision of the Copy Supervisor, and in coordination with the SEO Specialists to fulfill client work month to month. Copywriters must be adept and proficient writers, who are able to quickly research and create search-optimized content that is useful to users and meets the length and time requirements of the department. Copywriters must be unafraid of tight deadlines and high workloads, writing and researching for between 7 and 12 pieces of content a day on average.
Copywriters manage a heavy client load of between 30 and 40 accounts, making time management and the ability to complete tasks accurately and efficiently critical to success in this role. While SEO copywriting experience isn’t required for this role as training is provided, critical thinking, time management, and being calm under pressure are traits that lead to success.
- Write a high volume of high-quality, organic search-optimized web content per month, adhering to strict quality guidelines within time requirements
- Manage client production schedules independently to meet tight internal deadlines
- Perform competitor and keyword research in order to write top-placing content
- Collaborate with SEO Specialists to create content that meets client goals
- Flawlessly edit content created by yourself and others
- Work within website platforms to publish content
- Follow and understand brand-specific compliance requirements
- Contribute actively to department and company goals
- Understand and implement SEO best practices in content production
Requirements (within 3 months of employment):
- Active interest in organic search, search engines, and digital marketing and drive to stay abreast of industry news and updates
- Driven by the desire to continuously gain knowledge and improve skills
- Ability to comfortably and successfully manage heavy client loads (30-40 clients, 7-9 pieces a day on average)
- Ability to complete all required tasks within outlined time requirements and by required due dates each month
- Willingness to work overtime as needed to complete client work on schedule
- Critical thinking and reasoning skills; the ability to take learned concepts and apply them appropriately to unique situations in order to arrive at the most logical plan of action
- Willingness to identify problems or issues and raise them to leadership, as well as present possible solutions
- Adaptability; willingness to accept and embrace changing processes, gray areas, and new ideas with ease and enthusiasm
- Fully functional in all areas of the Copywriter skills matrix
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Detail-oriented, especially as it relates to Quality Control and editing your own work
- Proficient with Google Docs/Google Sheets or Microsoft Word/Microsoft Excel
- Ability to perform and apply findings of competitor research using SEMRush and Google
- Demonstrated understanding of SEO fundamentals