We are looking for someone to join a team dedicated to providing high availability, performance and security for tens of billions page views and over a billion web surfers every month from 28 locations on 6 continents. You will be involved in helping us develop, build, and maintain a leading global infrastructure and sharing our learnings with the world.
As part of a small and vertically integrated team responsible for a very large setup, you will have the opportunity to participate in all aspects of the management of our infrastructure, including:
- Maximizing the availability and uptime of all services through proactive planning, sound architectural decisions, automation and rapid response to failures;
- Making Automattic services as fast as possible for our users through optimization of server-side and client-side interactions, and work with 3rd party services where necessary;
- Ensuring our services are safe and secure for both our users and employees through a combination of proactive monitoring and enforcement, real-time response, and ensuring data integrity/backups to allow recovery from disasters;
- Removing as much friction as possible between Automattic developers and their goal of shipping software. When there are questions, we provide answers usually in a matter of minutes, sometimes seconds;
Here’s a real-time traffic map. Each color represents an Automattic data center: http://automattic.com/automattic-data-centers
The Systems Wrangler position might be a good fit if you:
- Have maintained large Nginx setups with advanced routing configuration, load balancing, reliable performance and high availability;
- Have run very large MySQL/MariaDB deployments while maintaining an unparalleled level of performance, uptime and data integrity;
- Have experience running and debugging PHP applications at scale;
- Understand the relationship of these services with the lower level systems stacks – filesystems, network, memory management, kernel internals, etc;
- Have deep operational and maintenance experience with very large and complex public facing web hosting systems;
- Can autonomously architect, prototype, and maintain solutions to different problems and hosting requirements;
- Possess extreme attention to detail and strive for unparalleled operational excellence;
- Are open and available for a 2-3 week post-COVID travel per year to meet up with your teammates in person.