Join TuSimple and help change the way the world moves. Together we’re making freight transportation safer, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly.
Come join a higher calling and find a deeper purpose!
As a multi-national Artificial Intelligence Technology Company, we are at the epicenter of the Autonomous Vehicle Universe. Our breakthroughs are leading the industry in autonomous trucking.
While inventing the framework of Autonomous Driving, our current fleet of autonomous Trucks are helping communities receive much-needed supplies and medical equipment around the clock. Our people are some of the most talented engineers and contributors who are leaving behind a historic legacy.
TuSimple was founded half a decade ago with the goal of bringing the top minds in the world together to achieve the dream of a driverless truck solution. With a foundation in computer vision, algorithms, mapping, and Artificial Intelligence, TuSimple is working to create the first global commercially viable autonomous truck driving platform!
As a critical member of the Data Management team at TuSimple, the Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform works on highly complex infrastructure that ingests, processes, transforms, and stores petabytes of data collected from autonomous driving vehicles. In conjunction with the team, the Senior Software Engineer builds data pipelines, provides data processing compute power for analytics / Machine Learning (M/L) feature extraction workloads, and finds storage solutions for the large amount of data TuSimple ingests everyday. The Senior Software Engineer utilizes open source data processing tools like Airflow, Kafka, Spark, Beam, and high performance computing solutions in the cloud, as well as in house solutions to provide end to end data loading, cleaning, and transforming capabilities. This experienced team member supports the integration with various cloud and local storage solutions to guarantee data security and availability, while keeping storage costs optimized. The Senior Software Engineer thrives on the energy of operating in a fast-paced, ever-changing atmosphere. They are innovative and embrace change and problem solving opportunities. The Senior Software Engineer also understands the importance of prioritizing and championing data integrity and accessibility; they help ensure data is comprehensive and accurate, that it is uploaded to the cloud, and that Application Programming Interfaces (API’s) are built effectively.
Opportunity Responsibilities and Mission:
- Designs and implements reliable, scalable, and performant distributed systems and large-scale data ingestion and processing pipelines.
- Designs and builds processing pipelines for both real-time and forecast data.
- Designs and implements cloud desktop services, cluster management services, and notebook services.
- Continuously works to improve the scalability and availability of distributed systems at scale.
- Collaborates with machine learning, data science, and simulation engineers to deliver the best data processing experience.
- Profiles and identifies the performance bottlenecks in various use cases, and expeditiously provides solutions.
- Increases observability into the systems health and execution flow and builds tools and dashboards for monitoring and improving efficiency
- Ensures secure distributed data access for data on-premise and via cloud providers.
- Mentors more junior members of the Data Management team.
Experience and Skills required :
- Highschool Diploma or equivalent General Education
- Preferred : Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Development, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, or related field
- Hands on experience developing distributed systems.
- Strong software development capability in one or more of the following languages: Java, Python, Go, C++,or Scala.
- Strong knowledge in data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- Passionate about data technology development, and thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Experience with cloud models and cloud computing (AWS/ GCP / Azure), and infrastructure as code frameworks (Cloud Formation, Terraform, and etc.).
- Strong ability in production deployment of distributed systems with container and orchestration technologies including Docker, Kubernetes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of large-scale data collection server systems and storage and processing pipelines: for example, Spark
- Demonstrated experience of data pipeline orchestration using Airflow, Luigi, Argo etc.
- Proficient in object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layer system architectures
- High sense of urgency; self-starter, highly responsive ,and able to work and deliver in a fast-paced stream-alignment environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills. Capable of listening and obtaining clarification, changing approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Demonstrated experience building and improving processes and promoting quality.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to coordinate multiple tasks and support projects of varying complexity concurrently.
- Proven ability to work independently, under firm deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to work in a matrix organization, tech start-up experience preferred.
- Visa sponsorship is available for this position
- Opportunity for professional growth and career advancement
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Up to a 30% discretionary bonus.
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Shape the landscape of autonomous driving
- 100% Company paid Medical, Vision, and Dental insurance plan
- Company 401(K) program
- Company paid life insurance
- Company paid education/training.
- Company paid gym membership.
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above listed items.