Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized as one of BuiltIn’s 2023 Best Places to Work in the US and is a Y Combinator 2023 Breakthrough Company and Top Company by Valuation.
Checkr is looking for a Staff Full Stack Software Engineer to join Checkr X, our innovation program aimed at finding and bringing to market new product bets for Checkr. This team is specifically thinking about People infrastructure for the future of work, beyond background checks. It’s also designed to operate and iterate quickly like a new startup, while being able to leverage our existing strengths and assets from our core business. Think about joining a startup within a startup!
We are specifically hiring a staff engineer for Checkr Pay – our bet in the payments space. Checkr Pay is a full-service payments platform for the gig economy. Checkr Pay allows gig platforms to pay their workforce instantly, seconds after completing a job – at no cost to the platform or the worker. Our core product is a digital wallet experience, including a free Visa debit card, that is embedded directly in gig platform apps/websites. This product supports a seamless onboarding flow for new workers, improving conversion by as much as 30%. Our embedded instant pay solution is the core platform on which we are building a new financial ecosystem for the gig economy, which moves the needle on financial inclusion for the unbanked and underbanked. This ecosystem includes rewards, benefits, fraud prevention, new financial products, and more. Learn more about our vision here.
We launched our MVP in late 2022, and our user-base has grown 2x/mo since then as we launch new gig platforms every quarter. Join our team as we rapidly scale our product to power the future of the gig economy!
- Collaborate with our founders and early adopters to design and implement new products
- Bring a customer-centric, product-first mindset to the table – collaborate with customers to resolve product ambiguities and ship impactful features
- Experimentation mindset – autonomy and empowerment to validate a customer need, get team buy-in, and ship a rapid MVP
- Develop new end to end web and mobile applications
- Build new industry-leading APIs
- Instrument and deploy new product experiments
- Leverage the Checkr ecosystem (systems, data) when appropriate to accelerate development of those new concepts
What you bring:
- Have founded or held early roles at fast-paced startups
- 7+ years of full stack software development experience
- Mobile development experience with cross-platform frameworks
- Some good product sense – not every UI flow will have a mockup ready for you 🙂
- A strong sense of ownership from feature design through production release
- Understanding of staged rollouts and what’s needed for MVPs – imperfect today is better than perfect next week!
- Ability to work directly with non-technical stakeholders (customers, internal partners) to understand a high-level problem and architect a solution
- Willingness to dedicate a fair amount of time supporting customers
- Experience building scalable technical architecture that can scale to 1mm+ users (including observability tooling, container orchestration, etc)
- Experience with building security-first products from the ground up (e.g., best practices for authentication and rate limiting, considering how an adversary might abuse attack surface)
- Willingness to mentor junior engineers to grow their skillset and guide ownership of high-impact features
We are committed to leveling the playing field and welcome all interested candidates to apply, even if you don’t meet every qualification outlined above. We’d still love to hear from you as we build a more inclusive, diverse, and accessible future at Checkr.
- Experience integrating with third-party applications
- Experience creating, maintaining, and operating microservices
- Experience in securing and optimizing the applications you help create
- Experience developing platforms built using an asynchronous event-based architecture
- Experience with a variety of payment rails, including ACH, instant push-to-debit
What you get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. For more information on our compensation philosophy, see our website.
The salary range for this role is $126,302-$262,890.