What’s so interesting about this role?
We are looking for a well-rounded Product Designer who has a passion for conceiving and executing simple and impactful interfaces for the queer community. Grindr is a huge, uniquely important app, and you’ll be part of a small team that shapes the direction and future of a widely-used product. This is an opportunity to directly affect the lives of queer people through your aesthetic, interaction, and product choices.
What’s the job?
- Design valuable, cohesive, and delightful user experiences for Grindr
- Collaborate with design team members
- Partner closely with engineering and product owners to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges
- Iterate on designs based on feedback from team members, stakeholders, and users
- Always be an advocate for our users
- Stay up-to-date with mobile app design trends, best practices, patterns, new capabilities, etc., and use this knowledge to push the product forward
What we’ll love about you
- Experience: 2 – 4 years of experience in product design, UI design, and/or UX design in a fast-paced environment
- An outstanding portfolio, showcasing a foundation in Typography, Interaction and Visual Design, and Ideation
- Experience designing for both Android and iOS. Experience with Responsive web is a plus
- Experience with Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, Proto.io (or another prototyping tool)
- Highly collaborative. Able to build trust & strong relationships at all levels, influence without formal authority, and push back when appropriate
- Confident in your own skill but respectful of the contributions of others
- Curious about user behavior and have empathy for diverse perspectives
- Dedicated to simplicity and visual harmony
- Experimental by nature, excited to incorporate A/B testing and user research into your process
- An excellent verbal and written communicator
- Comfortable with ambiguity. Process-oriented, but flexible
- Knowledgeable of industry and platform-specific patterns
We’ll really swoon if you have
- Front-end web development skills or experience creating websites with WebFlow, Squarespace, or similar
- Experience designing for social media or dating apps
- Experience working on a live app
- Experience with animation and/or motion design
- Experience conducting exploratory user research and usability testing
- Experience with quantitative data gathering and surveys
- Mission and Impact: Grindr is the world-leading LGTBQ social networking service. Your role will impact the lives of millions of LGTBQ people around the world
- Remote First: We have satellite offices in LA, NYC, and Chicago, and are remote first across the US and Canada. More than 30% of our employees work outside of cities where we have satellite offices
- Family Insurance: Insurance premium coverage for health, dental, and vision for you and partial coverage for your dependents
- Retirement Savings: Generous 401K plan with 6% match and immediate vest in the US
- Compensation: Industry-competitive compensation and equity
- Queer-Inclusive Benefits: Industry-leading gender-affirming offerings with up to 90% cost coverage, access to Included Health, monthly stipends for HRT, and more
- Additional Benefits: Flexible vacation policy, monthly stipends for cell phone, internet, wellness, and food, one-time home-office setup stipend, and company-sponsored events
Since launching in 2009, Grindr has grown into the world’s largest social networking app for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. We have millions of users who use our location-based technology in almost every country in every corner of the planet.
Today, Grindr proudly represents a modern LGBTQ lifestyle that expands into new platforms. From social issues to original content, we continue to blaze innovative paths with a meaningful impact for our community. At Grindr, we create a safe space where you can discover, navigate, and get zero feet away from the queer world around you.
As of June 2020, Grindr has new owners with a track record of multiple successful Bay Area start-ups. The new leadership is demonstrating a renewed commitment to creating an experience for users that is safe, fun, and productive, as well as a positive & uplifting company culture in which everyone can be their best selves. At the heart of Grindr’s mission in this new chapter is a shared set of core values including transparency, accountability, experimentation (failing fast), and strong allegiance to the LGBTQ community.