The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia – one of the most popular websites in the world, accessed by over 1.8 billion unique devices every month. It is the only non-profit in the top 50 websites, supported by a community of millions of individual donors around the world.
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Senior Manager of Accounting to join our team, reporting to the Controller, Vice President. As the Senior Manager of Accounting, you will be a key leader within the Finance & Administration group, responsible for building a long-term sustainable strategy for accounting operations, month-end close, and financial reporting under U.S. accounting standards.
In this role, you will foster cross-team collaboration to advance the Finance & Administration business goals, designing and implementing necessary tools and policies, and best practices for accounting processes. The position will lead all accounting functions for the organization, including more complex areas accounting for global currencies, fair value of investments, support legal entities, payment strategies, software capitalization, donations and grant accounting.
You are responsible for:
- Managing a team of accountants, fostering development and an inclusive culture.
- Leading month-end close and all accounting operations, including vendor payments and accruals, donations revenue, grants expense, investments and endowment for business activities in multiple countries and currencies.
- Being a change driver to develop and implement short-term and long-term strategies and projects to optimize the month-end closing process and other significant accounting processes so that we can improve scalability, automation, and internal controls. This will include redesigning accounting processes, working with technical experts to leverage our systems and technology, and defining roles and responsibilities.
- Leading monthly discussions on financial statement variances, providing effective analytical review, both written and verbal, with an ability to summarize topics as well as provide hands-on detailed analysis.
- Collaborating with the technical accounting policy lead on technical accounting matters and independently build operational accounting and related controls to ensure compliance with accounting standards.
- Having knowledge of accounting for Internal-Use Software (ASC 350-40), Fair Value Measurement (ASC 820), Non-for-Profit Entities (ASC 958) and Leases (ASC 842).
- Building out an accounting financial controls program under the COSO framework for mitigating financial and operational risks.
- Building, implementing and maintaining foundational accounting policies related to general ledger journal entries, chart of accounts, prepaids, aged accruals, expense reimbursement, receivables, general ledger system change management and significant accounting processes.
- Leading projects and effectively working with cross-functional teams within Finance & Administration and departments across the organization, providing updates and advancing project milestones.
Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of professional experience managing teams, overseeing operational accounting, designing and implementing internal controls and operationalizing technical accounting under U.S. GAAP.
- Bachelors of Science or higher degree in accounting.
- CPA strongly preferred.
- Public accounting experience conducting audits of financial statements under U.S. GAAP and testing controls within the COSO framework.
- Preparing or overseeing financial statements and footnote preparation under GAAP.
- Prior experience in accounting for investments under fair value, expense recognition for grant making, software capitalization and leasing.
- Experience in accounting operations, including vendor payables, expense reimbursement, month-end close, fixed assets, grants expense, donation revenue, balance sheet reconciliations, accruals, aged accruals and journal entries.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written with all levels within the organization and its community, including senior leadership to drive decision-making.
- Experience writing and implementing new policies.
- Strong critical thinking skills with ability to credibly challenge historical accounting processes and drive improvements.
- Accounting for international business with multiple geographic areas and currencies.
- Drive innovation with a willingness to balance strategy, trade offs and tactical execution.
- Superior project management skills including the ability to handle multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and across all organizational levels, exemplifying flexibility, collaboration, and adaptability.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Commitment to advancing Wikimedia Foundation’s mission and fostering a highly effective, efficient, and inclusive environment.
- Be a champion of change and continuous improvement.
- Passionate about providing solutions and working with people at all levels of the organization, including community members and volunteers.
- Self-motivated with an ability to navigate through ambiguity and bring a project to completion with limited direction.
- Understanding how accounting policies have a broad impact on the organization and movement.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- High acumen for analytical and analysis of financial balances and spotting trends.
- Experience in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment.
- A desire to mentor and develop teams.
- Curiosity and commitment to learning.
- An ability to listen to learn and lead with empathy.