We’re passionate about building tools that help small and medium-sized businesses market, sell, and serve their customers — and ultimately, grow better. We build for more than 130,000 customers in over 120 countries around the world. Our team has grown over the past few years, and our need for empathetic, adaptable, and diverse engineering leaders has grown in kind.
The Data Infrastructure teams at HubSpot are responsible for building and maintaining data storage technologies across the product. Teams work with a variety of open source technologies like MySQL, Vitess, Hadoop HBase, Kafka, Spark, and Elastic Search all running on AWS. A number of our teams are active contributors to the Open Source projects that they work on.
We’re looking to add an Engineering leader to our Data Infrastructure team. This person will be a technical leader with the ability to dive deep while also having the opportunity to grow successful direct reports, and run productive teams. The Senior Engineering Manager oversees one or more Data infrastructure groups and provides technical, product, and team level leadership to those teams.
In this role you will build a comprehensive set of intelligent features to solve complex problems on our database platform and services at scale, with the highest possible reliability. You will drive high impact data infrastructure / pipeline, services and upgrade/migration projects from start to finish. One of the primary objectives is to automate the deployments, configuration, and recoverability of data stores to efficiently scale storage systems. Teams also take on projects to improve the client-side interaction with the data stores with analysis tools and wrapper client interfaces.
We’re looking for:
We’re looking for a talented engineering leader to help us build the vision of making data store access simple, intuitive, highly performant and highly reliable for our customers and HubSpot application developers.
Bonus points for being:
- Someone with experience developing automation or is a power user of one or more of the above-mentioned data storage technologies.
- Willingness and ability to work with the user base, in this case, other developers, to define and build tools that make the lives of application developers easier and their code less error-prone through automation.
- Interested in working with and supporting infrastructure at scale.
- Someone who has shown that they can solve complicated technical problems and analyze tradeoffs with empathy for the developers, yet build creative solutions.
- Able to demonstrate pragmatic decision making and problem-solving abilities.
- A leader with a data driven mindset for solving problems
Engineering leaders play to their strengths, but are aligned to HubSpot’s mission and show the leadership qualities that we’ve found to be most effective. These include building trust and empathy within their teams, caring deeply about our customers and business needs, and fostering a team culture that encourages autonomy and psychological safety.
As a Senior Engineering Manager at HubSpot, you’ll do many things — and you likely already have experience doing some of them in the past. They are:
- The Senior Engineering Manager fundamentally decides how their group of teams run and are responsible for the success of their teams. They are an active member of their group’s leadership team, working on meaningful problems, and creating clarity on the direction for the group. They partner with their peers as well as other individuals throughout the organization, forming strong working relationships that assist in their teams’ success
- They focus on helping their reports grow the engineers underneath them, and mentor their reports to grow in their own roles.
- They have strong technical acumen along with interest and opinion in the direction of the infrastructure.
- They effectively communicate our mission and culture to candidates. They are an active participant in attracting and recruiting talent to the team.
- Contributing to our diversity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives to ensure inclusion and equity are embedded into everything we do.
If you want to read more about the Senior Engineering Manager role, check out this post by Richa Khandelwal about her day to day and this post by Nadia Alramli about how engineering leaders are onboarded at HubSpot.
Cash compensation range: 197700-316300 USD Annually
The cash compensation above includes base salary, on-target commission for employees in eligible roles, and annual bonus targets under HubSpot’s bonus plan for eligible roles. In addition to cash compensation, all HubSpotters are eligible to participate in HubSpot’s equity plan to receive restricted stock units (RSUs). Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay. Individual compensation packages are based on a few different factors unique to each candidate, including their skills, experience, qualifications and other job-related reasons.
We know that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. To learn more about what’s included in total compensation, check out some of the benefits and perks HubSpot offers to help employees grow better.
At HubSpot, fair compensation practices isn’t just about checking off the box for legal compliance. It’s about living out our value of transparency with our employees, candidates, and community.