Mozilla Corporation is the non-profit-backed technology company that has shaped the internet for the better over the last 25 years. We make pioneering brands like Firefox, the privacy-minded web browser, and Pocket, a service for keeping up with the best content online. Now, with more than 225 million people around the world using our products each month, we’re shaping the next 25 years of technology. Our work focuses on diverse areas including AI, social media, security and more. And we’re doing this while never losing our focus on our core mission – to make the internet better for everyone.
The Mozilla Corporation is wholly owned by the non-profit 501(c) Mozilla Foundation. This means we aren’t beholden to any shareholders — only to our mission. Along with 60,000+ volunteer contributors and collaborators all over the world, Mozillians design, build and distribute open-source software that enables people to enjoy the internet on their terms.
About this team and role:
As a Senior Data Engineer at Mozilla, your primary area of focus will be on our Analytics Engineering team. This team focuses on modeling our data so that the rest of Mozilla has access to it, in the appropriate format, when they need it, to help them make data informed decisions. This team is also tasked with helping to maintain and make improvements to our data platform. Some recent improvements include introducing a data catalog, building in data quality checks among others. Check out the Data@Mozilla blog for more details on some of our work.
What you’ll do:
- Work with other data engineers to design and maintain scalable data models and ETL pipelines
- Help design, build, and improve the infrastructure for ingesting, storing, and transforming data at a scale of tens of terabytes per day
- Help design and build systems to monitor and analyze data from Mozilla’s products
- Work with data scientists to answer questions and guide product decisions
What you’ll bring:
- At a minimum 3 years of professional experience in data engineering
- Proficiency with the programming languages used by our teams (SQL and Python)
- Strong software engineering fundamentals: modularity, abstraction, data structures, and algorithms
- Ability to work collaboratively with a distributed team
- Our team requires skills in a variety of domains. You should have proficiency in one or more of the areas listed below, and be interested in learning about the others:
- You have used data to answer specific questions and guide company decisions.
- You are opinionated about data models and how they should be implemented; you partner with others to map out a business process, profile available data, design and build flexible data models for analysis.
- You have experience recommending / implementing new data collection to help improve the quality of data models.
- You have experience with data infrastructure: databases, message queues, batch and stream processing
- You have experience building modular and reusable ETL/ELT pipelines in distributed databases
- You have experience with highly scalable distributed systems hosted on cloud providers (e.g. Google Cloud Platform)
- Commitment to our values:
- Welcoming differences
- Being relationship-minded
- Practicing responsible participation
- Having grit
What you’ll get:
- Generous performance-based bonus plans to all regular employees – we share in our success as one team
- Rich medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Generous retirement contributions with 100% immediate vesting (regardless of whether you contribute)
- Quarterly all-company wellness days where everyone takes a pause together
- Country specific holidays plus a day off for your birthday
- One-time home office stipend
- Annual professional development budget
- Quarterly well-being stipend
- Considerable paid parental leave
- Employee referral bonus program
- Other benefits (life/AD&D, disability, EAP, etc. – varies by country)
Mozilla exists to build the Internet as a public resource accessible to all because we believe that open and free is better than closed and controlled. When you work at Mozilla, you give yourself a chance to make a difference in the lives of Web users everywhere. And you give us a chance to make a difference in your life every single day. Join us to work on the Web as the platform and help create more opportunity and innovation for everyone online.
Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions.