Since being in the Winter 2018 batch of Y-Combinator, we’ve seen tremendous growth while intentionally creating a culture where people from all backgrounds belong. Our company and products are informed by diverse perspectives from the best talent from around the world. We are fully remote, have no offices, and are looking for team members who are excited to work remotely.
We closed our Series A and B in 2020, and after raising a $67.5M Series C in 2021, we are scaling faster than ever. Join us to grow your career with our rapidly growing company!
What You’ll Do
As an experienced Ruby / Ruby on Rails back-end Software Engineer you will be working directly on one of our client-facing products, helping build and maintain the product. You will have the opportunity to design, build and maintain robust and scalable software using Ruby on Rails. Additionally, you will participate in architectural design discussions and planning sessions, Solve technical problems of high scope and complexity while collaborating with your squad to solve problems ranging from scalability and performance to architecture and feature development.
What You’ll Bring
Need to have
- 5+ years of strong proficiency and working experience using Ruby on Rails
- Fluency in testing frameworks such as RSpec and/or Cucumber
- Experience working with multiple types of SQL and NoSQL datastores including MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Redis, and more
- A good understanding of server-side templating languages such as Liquid and Slim
- Experience in working on a medium-to-large monolithic codebase
- Good hands-on knowledge of CI/CD tools
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment
- Self-managing, both in motivation and learning
Nice to have
- Experience working with a variety of backend and frontend languages such as Go and Node
- Experience with React, GraphQL and Apollo
- Experience with Fastly or VCL
- Experience in Heroku, AWS and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with eCommerce platforms such as Shopify and BigCommerce
- Comfort working in highly agile, iterative software development process
- Working experience in a fully remote working environment
- A competitive salary
- Benefits (vary by location)
- An environment that cares highly about the quality of the code and good practices. We’ve suffered enough without them!
- A fully remote work environment – our team is global and has been remote from the very start!
- Occasionally, we hire on a full time contractor basis to begin with. Team members enjoy the same opportunities for great compensation, full time positions, and consideration, regardless of location.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- Benefits (vary by location)
- A highly skilled and dedicated team that is fun to work with
- Remote work – We are a diverse and distributed team that uses Slack, Zoom, Notion and other tools to stay connected
- Work in the open: Operate with high integrity and choose what’s right over what’s easy. Be transparent as a company and with each other
- People are People: Treat yourself, colleagues, and customers with dignity, empathy, and respect. Start from a presumption of positive intent
- Win and grow together: Strive to be the best, individually, and as a team. Support and encourage each other. Seek opportunities for growth
Shogun supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.
Please refer to the position specific location requirements listed under the location section of the job description as we are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the mentioned location(s) without requiring employment visa sponsorship.