Phaidra is building the future of industrial automation.
The world today is filled with static, monolithic infrastructure. Factories, power plants, buildings, etc. operate the same they’ve operated for decades — because the controls programming is hard-coded. Thousands of lines of rules and heuristics that define how the machines interact with each other. The result of all this hard-coding is that facilities are frozen in time, unable to adapt to their environment while their performance slowly degrades.
Phaidra creates AI-powered control systems for the industrial sector, enabling industrial facilities to automatically learn and improve over time. Specifically:
- We use reinforcement learning algorithms to provide this intelligence, converting raw sensor data into high-value actions and decisions.
- We focus on industrial applications, which tend to be well-sensorized with measurable KPIs — perfect for reinforcement learning.
- We enable domain experts (our users) to configure the AI control systems (i.e. agents) without writing code. They define what they want their AI agents to do, and we do it for them.
Our team has a track record of applying AI to some of the toughest problems. From achieving superhuman performance with DeepMind’s AlphaGo, to reducing the energy required to cool Google’s Data Centers by 40%, we deeply understand AI and how to apply it in production for massive impact.
Phaidra is based in the USA but 100% remote; we do not have a physical office. We hire employees internationally with the help of our partner, OysterHR. Our team is currently located throughout the USA, Canada, UK, Norway, Italy, Portugal, and India.
**Please only apply to one opening. If you are a better fit for another opening, our team will move your application. Candidates who apply to multiple openings will not be considered.**
Who you are
Phaidra is looking for an IT Support Specialist with a keen interest in learning new technologies. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to take ownership and be a primary influencer of IT governance for Phaidra. This role will work closely with our Engineering and Operations departments (encompassing SecOps and People Ops teams) and will be the first point of contact in resolving internal technical support requests for a fully remote company. You will interface with multiple technologies on a daily basis such as Mobile Device Management, Identity and Access Management Software, and more while supporting an innovative startup.
Please note that we are a fully distributed company, and team time zones vary widely.
For this position, we are seeking a team member located within the following area: USA
The ideal candidate has experience and will be comfortable with:
- Analyzing, troubleshooting, and evaluating employee technological issues
- Providing technical assistance and support related to computer systems (Windows, MacOS, Linux), hardware, and software by answering user questions
- Deploying corporate devices to employees
- Managing device refresh policy
- Answering technological questions within company policies
- Supporting physical and cloud infrastructure remotely
- Generating and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Training users on technical systems and computer functions along with addressing system and user issues to a non-technical audience
In your first 30 days…
- You will be immersed in an onboarding program that introduces you to Phaidra and our product.
- You will spend time in Operations and Engineering, learning how the departments operate, interact, and approach problems.
- You will be introduced to everyone you will need to know in order to be successful in your role.
- You will meet with various team members across the company.
- You will start to learn about our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will identify any gaps in IT documentation and fill them.
- You will reflect Phaidra’s values in meetings and communications.
In your first 60 days…
- You will have a solid understanding of what Phaidra does and how we do it.
- You will have met with team members across Phaidra and started building relationships that help you to be successful at your job.
- You will have taken ownership of device ordering and shipments.
- You will have taken ownership of IT tickets.
- You will have a full understanding of Phaidra’s security policies and apply them with IT ticket responses.
In your first 90 days…
- You will have been fully integrated in the team and with team members across the company. You will have set regular meetings with both departments to check in and work cross-functionally.
- You will get a more in-depth understanding of our system architecture and infrastructure.
- You will have become an expert with our tooling.
- You will have taken ownership of device management.
- You will have started to generate SOPs.
- You will have started to consider scalability in every proposed solution.
- You will have started to contribute to knowledge sharing throughout Phaidra.
- Minimum 4+ years of experience providing end-to-end internal IT support in a professional environment
- Minimum 2+ years of experience remotely managing corporate devices
- Remote work experience
- Startup experience
- Globally distributed workforce experience
- Highly knowledgeable and experienced with MacOS, Google, and SaaS platforms (Slack, Notion, Zendesk, etc)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with multinational exposure
- Ability to document processes and identify areas for improvement
- Exemplifies our company values of transparency, collaboration, operational excellence, ownership, and empathy
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Knowledge and experience with an HRIS and SSO
General Interview Process
All of our interviews are held via Google Meet, and an active camera connection is required.
Initial screening interview with a People Operations team member (30-45 minutes) to meet you, learn more about your background, and discuss what you are looking for in a new position.
Take home assignment (maximum 1 hour) to gain an understanding of how you think and would approach problems and situations that you may face in your role at Phaidra. Our team will review your submission and provide you with feedback. If we decide to move forward, you will be invited to continue with the final interviews.
Teammate interview with a SecOps team member (30-45 minutes) for you to get a better feel for the cross-functionality of this role and to provide an additional opportunity to ask us questions.
Hiring manager interview with Phaidra’s Head of Operations & People (1 hour) that will involve a discussion around your take home assignment answers, questions relating to communication and collaboration, and a deeper dive into the Operations team’s responsibilities in relation to your role and the growth trajectory of Phaidra and your role/career.
Culture fit interview with Phaidra’s co-founders (30 minutes) to ensure that you will fit Phaidra and Phaidra will fit you.
US Residents: $60,000 – $95,000
This position includes equity.
These are best faith estimates of the base salary range for this position. Multiple factors such as experience, education, level, and location are taken into account when determining compensation.
Benefits & Perks
- Fast-paced and team-oriented environment where you will be instrumental in the direction of the company.
- Phaidra is a 100% remote company with a digital nomad policy.
- Competitive compensation & equity with an early exercise option.
- Outsized responsibilities & professional development.
- Training is foundational; functional, customer immersion, and development training.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance (exact benefits vary by region).
- Unlimited paid time off, with a minimum of 20 days off per year requirement.
- Paid parental leave (exact benefits vary by region).
- Home office setup stipend and company MacBook.
- Monthly internet reimbursement.
On being Remote
We are thoughtful about remote collaboration. We look to the pioneers – like Gitlab – for inspiration and best practices to create a stellar remote work environment. We have a documentation-first culture and actively practice asynchronous communication in everything we do. Our team stays connected through tools like Slack and video chat. Most teams meet daily, and we have dedicated all-hands meetings bi-weekly to build strong relationships. We hold virtual team building events once per month – and even hold virtual socials to watch rocket launches! We have a yearly in-person, all-company summit in locations like Seattle, Athens, Goa, and Barcelona.