We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we’re not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
About the Employee Experience Team
At Thumbtack, we believe in the power of our people. We know that with the right culture, development and support, our people can achieve anything.
The Employee Experience team within the People/HR organization builds meaningful employee experiences for all Thumbtackers globally within the framework of our Future of Work model. Our function leads Thumbtack’s Future of Work program management, and drives all in-person elements of our culture and work, including Thumbtack Libraries (our Community Centers formerly known as ‘offices’), Community & Connection, and Team Events.
Our mission is to enhance employee wellbeing by fostering an inclusive environment where all employees have in-person opportunities to connect and form camaraderie with their peers in meaningful and memorable ways.
About the Role
Thumbtack believes in the power of virtual-first work to unlock a fundamentally better employee experience – empowering employees to work from anywhere while growing their careers at Thumbtack.
Virtual-first work as a day-to-day model allows us to operate as a unified team, maximizing impact regardless of location. Simultaneously, our virtual-first work vision is grounded in the belief that in-person connections and events are the backbone for forming meaningful bonds, developing new relationships, building a strong sense of community & culture, and ultimately – building a stronger Thumbtack. We are virtual first, not virtual only!
As our first-ever Head of Employee In-Person Events, you will bring our Future of Work vision to life by curating in-person connections for Thumbtack employees through memorable in-person events, including our annual Camp Thumbtack employee retreat and quarterly Team Offsites for all Thumbtack employees.
You’ll work collaboratively with stakeholders across the business to ideate, drive and execute our events program, developing and implementing strategies, tactical plans, and overall event management best practices to create an incredible in-person experience for our employees. This role will directly own our events program from ideation to execution, measure what’s working and what’s not, coordinate event and travel logistics, and oversee the Events budget.
Our new Head of Employee Events will report to the Director of Employee Experience, have direct lines to our VP, People and Thumbtack’s Future of Work Steering Committee, and collaborate cross-functionally with leaders throughout the business.
This role will manage a small team of event/logistics coordinators. This role requires domestic travel one to three times per quarter and in-person attendance at Thumbtack events.
- Create and implement a scalable long term in-person events strategy that solves for our current and future state within the framework of our Future of Work vision
- Own the events lifecycle, from pre-planning to timeline management, logistics, operations, budgets, calendars, execution, KPIs and reporting.
- Lead the planning and execution of our inaugural Camp Thumbtack in partnership with with our external event agency and execute quarterly team offsites in partnership with the inhouse team
- Establish timelines and project management strategies that ensure parallel work streams execute simultaneously, seamlessly, within budget and according to plan
- Ideate creative solutions, event concepts, content, and programming that are fresh and relevant to our brand, venues, and programming
- Develop policies, procedures, and playbooks for repeatable and scalable events and travel logistics
- Oversee events-related customer support and logistics, as well as third-party vendors and relationships (inclusive of venue/hotel partnerships, airline partnerships, and event support vendors)
If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 7+ years demonstrated success planning, leading, and executing medium and large scale Employee Event programs, either in-house or within an agency
- 3+ years as a team builder, managing a direct team of event coordinators and external event agency/vendor partners
- Operational rigor with a proven ability to define event program strategies, operational plans, objectives, KPI’s, ROI’s, and logistical tasks without waiting for top-down direction
- An effective multi-tasker who successfully navigates a fast-paced environment, multiple priorities, and a robust events calendar
- Strong ability to work and partner cross-functionally to incorporate and act on feedback from stakeholders and senior leaders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with experience using G-Suite programs (Slides, Docs, Sheets, and GMail) to convey ideas
- A creative visionary, with high levels of ownership, detail orientation, initiative taking, and passion for creating moments that matter and a first-in-class employee experience rooted in our values and Future of Work Vision
- Experience working in a fast-paced or high-growth tech company with distributed teams
- Experience planning in-person events since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Experience building resort, venue and/or airline partnerships and agreements
More About Us
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.