[As of June 2020, Quora has become a “remote-first” company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people’s heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge, and we’re building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing, and the platform for businesses to reach our audience, requires a multidisciplinary approach. To deliver our mission, we are designing systems that make knowledge sharing rewarding and discovery easy, while scaling to support the participation of the entire planet. We’re building a diverse team with people of different backgrounds and experiences, empowered to shape strategy.
Our designers leverage what they learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. Design plays a significant role in product strategy and direction. Working on everything from ranking to UI, from internationalization to moderation systems, product design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies alike, as we value rigor and empathy in equal measure. Mixed methods user researchers explore product opportunities and undertake nuanced investigations to ongoing product questions. Brand design provides support to the company and product, helping us tell our story better.
We pursue candor, holism, and awareness in our work.
About the Role:
We’re seeking an experienced design leader with a track record of designing and building successful consumer internet products. As the head of the design organization, you will lead a rigorous team of managers, product and brand designers, and user researchers distributed across North America that are empowered to take risks and learn from mistakes, tackling Quora’s most difficult problems.
You are comfortable contributing to product strategy at a high level, then driving towards multiple strategic outcomes through the functions for which you are accountable.
As both the team and the product scale, you will advocate for the design team and advance the design perspective across the organization, aligning partners and leaders cross-functionally.
- Attract, retain and develop a growing team of designers and user researchers through recruitment, mentorship, and coaching.
- Collaborate with the leadership team, quickly moving ideas from high-level product vision and strategy through road mapping, planning, and execution.
- Contribute to the product through coaching on craft and persuasively representing the design perspective cross-functionally to set and hold our standards.
- Advance a flourishing remote design team culture and organization that ensures velocity without sacrificing craft.
- Foster a data-driven design culture of excellence that ensures the long-term health of the product, user experience, and business goals.
- Consistently maximize impact for the design team, yourself, and the company as a whole.
- Embody Quora’s values: mission first, drive, agility, awareness, and pragmatism.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora’s “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 10+ years of relevant design experience.
- 5+ years of direct management experience leading teams of design managers in shipping products at scale.
- Experience working on social, marketplace, or other consumer-facing products across multiple platforms.
- Excellent analytical skills and technical understanding.
- Proven record of developing high-caliber design teams of managers and designers through coaching and mentorship.
- Ability to drive alignment cross-functionally with strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- A user of the Quora product.
- Prior experience leading design teams that included designers who code
- Passion for building and shipping consumer internet products.
- Humble, curious, and motivated.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.