The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,800+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
The Director, Globalization & Localization reports to the VP Marketing Strategy & Platforms.
The Director, Globalization & Localization is a grade 10 role.
The Director, Globalization & Localization will lead Gitlab’s go-to-market localization strategy, operations and technology platform, with a primary focus on Sales, Marketing, Growth & E-commerce Product areas. You’ll apply your deep domain knowledge and experience in web & product internationalization, localization lifecycle management, translation management system, machine translation and international expansion to help share the GitLab story & value across languages and cultures. You will translate, localize and customize market-appropriate content that resonates with the target audience. You’ll also work with product and engineering to ensure our globalization infrastructure and technology platform can support both current and future use cases. The qualified candidate will be a driven and inspiring leader who has a successful track record of building and leading a global team, including agencies and linguists network, and is comfortable being a player coach while scaling the globalization & localization function as our company grows.
- Lead the go-to-market localization lifecycle management, operations, and technology infrastructure initiatives and teams
- Recruit, inspire, develop and retain a globally distributed all-remote team. Manage the localization agencies and linguists network to ensure continuous improvement of quality and productivity.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with culturally and geographically diverse stakeholders. Collaborate with sales & marketing regional leaders.
- Define and execute on an end-to-end localization and transcreation programs from planning, budgeting to delivery and QA.
- Help drive significant improvement in international SEO and revenue growth through special cross-functional globalization initiatives
- Allocate resources and budget to efficiently maximize business outcomes, and contribute to the strategic objectives along the customer journey
Desirable Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Progressive experience leading globalization / localization at fast growing technology companies preferably with Software-as-a-Service offerings and strong open source communities
- Leadership experience managing a high-performing team in a distributed environment, with an emphasis on people leadership, building teams to scale, and engaging global and local stakeholders.
- Experience collaborating across multiple internal departments and teams, building effective relationships and influencing change
- Strong network and relationship with localization agencies, project managers and linguists
- Deep domain expertise in localization lifecycle, CAT tools, TMS. Technical understanding of common DevOps platforms, CMS, and marketing automation systems. – Demonstrated ability to learn and leverage new technologies
- Professional fluency in English and at least one of the following languages: French, Germany, Spanish, or Japanese
- Comfortable using data to measure results and inform decision making and strategy development.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
The next step in the Director, Globalization & Localization job family is not yet defined at GitLab.
- Speed and throughput of translation; % of on-time deliveries
- Localization Quality; average language quality scores
- Total localization costs relative to content volume / format; fully-loaded price per word
- Non-English SEO lift; % uplift in organic traffic and conversions for target markets
- New pipeline lift; % uplift in Marketing Qualified Leads & Sales Accepted Opportunities for target markets