You can join us either in one of our offices in Hamburg, Berlin or Barcelona or work remotely within the countries we are operating. This includes: Spain, Germany, Portugal, Italy, France, Poland, UK, Ireland, Austria and Greece.
We as FREE NOW are the biggest multi mobility platform across Europe offering a huge portfolio of mobility options like e-scooters, e-bikes, carsharing or mopeds built upon our roots in ride hailing like taxi and private hire vehicle services. We are looking for an ambitious and experienced Engineering Manager to help the Team building great software for our customer facing Public Transport Team.
As we love our planet, we believe in shared mobility and the freedom to move regardless of your income or your age. By reducing the need for your own car, maximizing the usage with shared rides and supporting the next-gen of electric vehicles, we believe we can play a major role to improve the way we move in cities and make them a better, more sustainable place.
The last missing piece to reach every customer and offer a seamless mobility experience is integrating Public Transport into our platform. Therefore we’re searching for an Engineering Manager who wants to join our journey and improve the journey for everyone else. Together with the Team you will be responsible for discovering how the integration will look like, ship & improve it continuously. You will be part of an autonomous team, working closely with our Product Department to always have the clear vision of your product. You will be comfortable taking responsibility for the deliverables of your squad and ensure that your squad has everything to achieve all goals.
We focus on three main areas in our Multi Mobility Teams:
- 2 Wheeled Vehicles: This includes shaping the experiences for micro-mobility, integrating with different service providers and creating a seamless user experience.
- Car Sharing & Shuttle: We believe in a future where an own car is not needed anymore and traffic in the city will be significantly decreased. So whether you decide on a pooled ride or want to rent your own car we will provide the right solution for you.
- Public Transportation: The missing part to reach everyone is the integration of Public Transport in the Cities, creating synergies between vehicle types and being able to offer a intermodal journey for everyone.
You should bring:
Previous experience leading a team
Strong people management mindset
Background in hands-on coding experience
Ideally a broad knowledge across different tech stacks
The ability to quickly adopt new technologies and concepts
Experience working in an agile work environment, especially being passionate about the agile way of working
Strong interpersonal skills with excellent communication in English
Here you will be able to find:
- You code, you ship, you own – our Engineers have end-to-end responsibility for the features they deliver
- Code improvement is part of our development culture, we refactor and continuously improve our multi-module codebase
- We ensure the quality of our products with a big emphasis on test automation integrated into our CI/CD tooling
- Knowledge sharing and mentorship are a fundamental part of our ways of working
- Lead your cross-functional squad of iOS/Android/Backend Engineers
- Ensure a constant delivery of your squad and always push for perfection
- Develop processes and software development techniques together with your squad
- Coach your software engineers; i.e.: help them with their weaknesses and foster their strengths
- Set goals for your software engineers and coach them by providing frequent feedback
- Work closely with the recruiting team not only on attracting but also on retaining and onboarding new team members
- Collaborate with other squad leads
- Foster autonomy in decisions and processes of your squad
In your first 30 days we would expect at least the following to happen:
- Understand the Team Structure
- Relationship Building both up, down and sideways
- Full understanding of the tasks/problems that lie ahead
- Start to work out what can be done better
- Understand what KPI’s to influence
Outside of your salary, your benefits could include (if located in Germany, slightly different benefits apply to other countries):
- Birthday off
- Public transport subsidy of €20 p/month
- €50 p/month credit for Taxis (MyTaxi Obviously!)
- Subsidised Gym membership
- Company pension plan with 50% subsidy up to a max of €120/month
- Free Language Courses
- €500 Personal Training Budget
- Quarterly Team Events
- 27 vacation days plus 24th and 31st December are company holidays
Diversity and inclusion:
At FREE NOW, we commit to being an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability or age. We celebrate diversity and have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. Together with passionate, creative and collaborative colleagues, we are following our purpose of making mobility available for everyone.
Move like you
At FREE NOW we have colleagues from over 70 nations! We value open communication and welcome everyone as they are. We are all one team and follow the same goals – that’s why we share our insights and results to get on track together every month.
Your wellness and work-life balance matters to us. We offer trust-based and flexible working hours as well as the option to work from home. In the office, you can enjoy our free drinks and daily fresh fruit. Do you like to be active? Take part in our subsidised gym membership. Bigger plans? Take a sabbatical leave and get out there!
Let’s grow together! We believe in a transparent career growth plan, quarterly development sessions with your team lead as well as regular 1:1s to help you thrive! For your own ideas, you’re welcome to set up initiatives and projects.
Need a lift? We offer Udemy e-learning platform, subsidised language classes, internal peer-to-peer trainings and more to support your learning & development opportunities.
More Benefits? 👏 Monthly mobility budget for FREE NOW rides, quarterly team events, company-wide onboarding days at our HQ in Hamburg, relocation assistance for internationals, birthday-off, kudos and many more!
About FREE NOW:
FREE NOW is the Mobility Super App with the largest vehicle choice for consumers across Europe. More than 54 million users in 16 markets and in over 170 cities today are already moving freely from A to B by accessing the largest selection of mobility options available in one app. Through the unique integration of mobility brands and payment services, they can book their nearest taxi, private hire vehicle, car sharing or micro-mobility option such as eScooters, eMopeds, and eBikes within the app. FREE NOW aggregates numerous mobility brands with the ambition to make urban mobility more efficient and sustainable without adding new vehicles on the street. The German based company is backed by the BMW Group and Mercedes-Benz Mobility. In total, around 1,850 employees in more than 27 offices work for the services of FREE NOW, which is led by CEO Thomas Zimmermann.