Uno Health is a tech-enabled service that enrolls Medicare individuals into many of the financial programs they’re eligible for – such as SNAP and Utility Assistance – unlocking thousands of dollars for some of the most vulnerable Americans. The extra cash leads to improved health outcomes and savings for all, and a subset of programs unlock ~20% direct revenue for their Medicare insurers.
Founders Anna de Paula Hanika and Chloe Phitoussi were inspired by first-hand experience in their previous roles at healthcare startups developing programs which aimed to improve people’s health outcomes while balancing the financial incentives of the insurance plan. Uno’s investors include GV, General Catalyst, Floodgate and Cowboy Ventures and other healthcare and technology leaders.
We are at a pivotal time with deep demographic and social pressures being applied to our healthcare system. Come work with us!
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced and innovative Director of Strategic Finance to lead and help build out our finance function. You will collaborate cross-functionally to manage Uno’s core finance activities, including budget building, financial planning and analysis (FP&A), and financial modeling processes. You will work closely with the founder and CEO, Anna de Paula Hanika, along with Strategic Operations and all functional leads, including through all fundraising cycles. Our team is mission-oriented, excited about enrolling people in life changing benefits, and welcomes the challenge of becoming experts on the government programs that confuse the millions of low-income individuals across the US.
What Success Looks Like:
- Lead, build and manage the finance function including all finance and some accounting operations (we have an external firm currently) – this role will be both tactical and strategic
- This will include overseeing things like: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), budgeting, building strategic models (e.g., unit economics, workforce management) and financial compliance.
- Work closely with company leaders to develop financial forecasts and operational goals, apply business judgment and financial insights to assist with decision making.
- Drive comprehensive and heightened thought leadership and strategic insights by leveraging creative and insightful financial metrics.
- Conduct financial analyses and provide strategic recommendations on operational and financial initiatives.
- Be comfortable working with large amounts of data from various sources under multiple scenarios in a fast-paced environment
- Drive financial models and analyses which will guide the organization to make decisions that drive the best ROI for the company.
- Drive scale initiatives across the finance organization, as well as cross functional initiatives that support scale across the company.
- Respond to information requests with thorough, organized and fact-based work products supporting key observations, assumptions and conclusions.
- Identify opportunities to improve process, financial and operational controls, and information systems in support of routine analysis and proper recordation/accumulation of financial reporting.
- Be a key participant in investor relations, including crafting board communications and fundraising materials as well as independently interacting with current and prospective investors as needed.
- Act as lead corporate controller to oversee financial statement audits, monthly financial reporting, and strong internal controls.
- Report directly to the CEO and be a thought partner on all strategic matters.
- Designated as Company corporate treasurer
This Role Requires:
- 7+ years experience as a controller including time leading and building out a finance function.
- Track record of demonstrable success at a Venture Capital backed company.
- Experience building out finance teams/the finance function of a business, or being part of first/early stage finance teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- CPA License
- Experience working in the finance function at both a public and private company is preferred
- Experience managing the business planning process across a company.
- Experience supporting new business models
- Strong track record of business partnering with C-suite/senior level executives
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and proven experience in cultivating collaborative working relationships with teams across an organization
- Have proven ability to think strategically and plan effectively; be detailed, results oriented, while managing multiple tasks against deadlines
- Strong data architecture and systems skills, as well as deep experience with planning systems/tools
- Thrives on collaboration and operates with a strong internal stakeholder mentality
- Expert multitasker, self-prioritizer, and project manager
- Strives for excellence but solves for the bigger picture
- Unimpeachable integrity, maturity, strength of character, and professionalism
- Experience at a high-growth company is a plus
- Ability to build and manage core financial models and systems (you will own your function!)
You May be a Good Fit for this Role if you…
- Have a desire to revolutionize the way we support low-income Medicare members.
- Experience working at an early-stage startup and excitement about taking on responsibility within a growing team.
- Have experience interacting with investors and using key financial metrics to tell investors more about what our organization is trying to accomplish.
- Are a self-starter who enjoys working cross-functionally with different teams to reach a common company goal.
- Have excitement around building out the finance function of our team.
Pay, Perks & Benefits at Uno!
- Pay Rate: $180,000 to $200,000 Base Pay + Equity Potential
- Location: Remote/Flexible – Offices Located in New York City and Salt Lake City
- Hours of operation: Monday to Friday – 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST
- Time Off: 25d vacation / 5d sick / 11 paid company holidays – 1 floating holiday.
- Benefits: Competitive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans.
- Growth: Several opportunities for advancement both in leveling up, working on special projects, and learning & development opportunities.
- Start-Up Environment: Add on to our amazing company culture and bring your past experience to further evolve your career. Great opportunity to be a part of growing a mission-driven company as we expand to a new geography for the first time!