The GitLab DevOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 1,600+ team members and values that guide a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute.
A brief overview of the GitLab Incubation Department:
The Incubation Engineering Department within the Engineering Division focuses on long-term trends and features that are too early to measure via usage or revenue, but are critical to the long term growth and success of GitLab. The projects this department works on align with the term “new markets” from one of our product investment types. These ideas that may contribute to our revenue in 3-5 years time.
The Director of Incubation will lead a team of Single Engineer Groups (SEG) within Incubation Engineering. SEGs at GitLab work to initiate a planned or minimal maturity category into the GitLab project. The Director of Incubation will set strategic direction for SEGs, communicate with executive-level audiences, and collaborate across Product and Engineering departments. This individual will be responsible for developing and executing on the strategic vision to enable SEGs to successfully incubate ideas inside our larger organization and existing code base while limiting the negative aspects of friction that come from a larger organization. This role is 100% remote.
- Manage and help set the direction for 4-6 SEGs across a range of domains
- Recruit top talent to build a best-in-class Incubation Engineering Department; responsible for hiring and capacity planning
- Develop strategies to support scaling beyond the Incubation phase and advise on the SEG lifecycle for their team
- Collaborate with Engineering peers and company executives on key innovation initiatives
- Provide transparent status to stakeholders
- Support SEGs by validating and debating approaches to test ideas
- Serve as champion of the Incubation department and the work that SEGs engage in
- Stay abreast of long term technical trends in the market
- Stay informed about other products’ functionality and positioning
- Advocate for broad changes in the GitLab project to stay ahead of scalability and performance bottlenecks
- Demonstrated success in leading teams of engineers or other technical experts in a fast moving, high growth environment
- Experience scaling products without compromising on security
- Broad knowledge of technology trends with a focus on managing innovation / incubation / accelerator teams
- Diplomatic communication skills with the ability to utilise storytelling and narration to evangelize the Incubation Engineering Department’s story
- Experience in a variety of stages of the startup lifecycle, from inception to launch
You’ll stand out if you bring experience in
- Being a prior company co-founder
- Mentoring startups through incubator or accelerator programs
- Being an early contributor to a successful open source project
- Working successfully on a prior single-engineer group
- Bringing products through to market at scale
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
For Colorado residents: The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently $172,500 to $275,000 for Colorado residents only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary. Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.