The Verge is looking for an ambitious and curious Designer to create and execute innovative visuals across a variety of digital platforms. As the Designer, you will be a member of an award-winning art and design team who is an all-around collaborator, eager to brainstorm ideas and solve problems with our commerce, editorial, video, and engagement teams. Additionally, you’ll work closely with our Associate Creative Director, supporting editorial and commerce teams to produce engaging graphics and illustrations in a fast-paced environment.
WHO WE ARE
The Verge is an ambitious multimedia effort founded in 2011 to examine how technology will change life in the future for a massive mainstream audience.
The Verge is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Create editorial illustrations on varying deadlines, from breaking news to longer-lead stories
- Generate assets for commerce events like Prime Day and Black Friday, gift guides, buying guides, and other commerce formats
- Develop branding, newsletter templates, and a suite of promotional assets for ongoing series
- Collaboratively and independently create easy-to-read and visually striking data visualization and infographics
- Spearhead and create attention-grabbing and on-brand social media assets, including in Instagram stories, Twitter threads, our Verge Deals newsletter, and more
- Establish easy-to-use design templates in Figma and Canva for use across editorial and engagement teams
- Work comfortably between aesthetic styles and formats, from vector illustration to photo collage to motion graphics
- Concept and pitch design ideas for complex projects, ushering work through brainstorm, mood boards, revision, to finished product
- Receive and incorporate design direction and feedback from the art team, and offer the same support to your colleagues in return
- Collaborate with members of the art team and beyond to editors, writers, the engagement team and more
- Propose solutions to design and workflow challenges
- Advocate for accessible design and utilize accessibility best practices in all work
- Work closely with the Associate Creative Director to create distinct visual styles at The Verge, helping differentiate us from our competitors
- Constantly innovate and test to see what is performing the best
WHO YOU ARE
- Strong knowledge of the full Adobe Suite, especially Illustrator, Photoshop, and After Effects
- Extremely adept at synthesizing a headline or brief into a confident visual interpretation or metaphor
- Have a strong portfolio demonstrating recent design work, especially editorial art
- Flexible and adaptable to shifting priorities and timelines, regularly not just meeting, but beating deadlines
- Eager to learn and grow as part of an established art and design team
- Able to work independently and in collaboration with others
- Extremely organized, detail-oriented and familiar with digital asset management
- Strong communication skills and a team player
- Passionate about technology and its intersection with art and everyday life
Nice to have, but not required:
- Comfortable with Figma and Airtable
- Experience with Blender
- Image editing skills in color-correction, selection and compositing, image sizing, retouching, and photo-manipulation
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East