The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people’s heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge, and we’re building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Unsurprisingly, then, the Data Team is highly empowered at Quora, helping navigate complexity and influencing product and company strategy directly. Quora’s outsized commitment to data is visible in everything we do, from our rigor-driven experimentation processes to the backgrounds of our leaders (including many Product Managers and the Head of Product being former full-time data scientists). With this emphasis on data and empirics, we aim to balance rigor and pragmatism, searching for scrappy solutions in pursuit of our mission. In joining Quora’s strong data team, you’ll both benefit from and work to advance our culture of rational decision making.
About the Role:
As a data scientist in ads, you’ll work closely with sales leadership, product managers, and engineers to devise appropriate measurements and metrics, build visualizations, design randomized controlled experiments, and tackle hard, open-ended problems that uncover usage patterns and opportunities for the company. In this role, you will deliver data-driven insights to guide our business strategy and extract untapped value in our platform by developing a deep understanding of our advertisers and users. Quora has a wide range of rich data, giving you ample room for exploration and creativity. For more about our work, see Quora’s Data blog at https://quoradata.quora.com/.
- Extract actionable insights from broad, open-ended questions to influence sales and product strategy and drive roadmap decisions
- Analyze data to understand the root causes of metric movements and uncover growth opportunities
- Design and evaluate A/B tests to make informed recommendations on product changes
- Develop metrics and create dashboards to orient the direction of business development and track the success of the business
- Communicate insights and recommendations to key partners
- Improve the work of other data scientists through mentorship, tool development, and by bringing good industry practices to the team
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora’s “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in a quantitative field
- 2+ years work experience in sales analytics, product analytics, or data science at a consumer tech company (e.g. open-ended analyses, metric development, A/B testing)
- Proficiency in using SQL and procedural programming languages (e.g. Python, R) to manipulate and analyze data
- Familiarity with theoretical foundations of statistical techniques (e.g. hypothesis testing, regression)
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and combine quantitative skills with intuition to translate numbers into insights
- Demonstrated ability to clearly explain data results to cross-functional teams
- 4+ years work experience in sales analytics, product analytics, or data science at a consumer tech company (e.g. open-ended analyses, metric development, A/B testing)
- Experience evangelizing best practices and process improvements on your team
- Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools (e.g. Presto, Redshift)
- Experience pushing code and navigating a complex codebase
- Active Quora user with curiosity about the product
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.