Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
The Customer Experience team at Betterment is key to enhancing our customer-focused product, supporting its users, and is relied on by every team in our organization. As a Customer Support Associate, you like working with people, fixing things, and are a master of the art of the analogy. You understand what it means to be a champion of a brand. You are the voice for customers, and relish providing them with that “wow” moment. You understand what it is like to be a customer, and appreciate going above and beyond to delight people and solve their problems. In this role, you will be joining a tight-knit team that is an integral part of the organization.
Recent graduates welcome!
This role is 100% remote. Below we’ve reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position in locations with pay transparency requirements. For those located elsewhere, the actual compensation offered will be based on candidate experience and geographic location. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees. We are hiring in all states except: NY, NJ, PA, CT, CA, ME, WA
- Colorado: $45,000 – $52,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as a flexible PTO policy.
A day in the life
- Deliver above-and-beyond customer service and experiences through phone, email, live chat, and social media channels
- Explain complex transactional and investment principles clearly, helping prospects and customers understand the benefits of our products
- Troubleshoot customer issues and concerns, investigating why they happened, and communicating with multiple teams to find rapid resolutions
- Act as the internal voice of the customer, offering insights to all areas of the business to help build a better product
What we’re looking for
- Expertise with customer service, financial services, or retail banking
- Exceptional written communication skills and ability to build rapport – you will speak with our customers through email and in real-time over our live chat feature
- Interest in becoming a subject matter expert in finance and personal investing
- Technical savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple complex systems simultaneously to respond to customer inquiries
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to take the initiative to use available resources to find an answer to a customer’s problem
- Flexible availability, generally between the hours of 9-6 ET
- Customer service experience, including (but not limited to!) retail, call centers, restaurant industry, or other client relationship management
- Strong & reliable WiFi connection is required. A laptop and necessary equipment for the role will be provided.
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people’s lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we’re at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email [email protected]
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.