At Yelp, it’s our mission to connect people with great local businesses. The Yelp Strategy team supports this mission by working with Yelp executives to articulate our long term direction and top priorities.
The Strategy team works with leaders to codify the growth opportunities and threats in our business. The team synthesizes external and internal insights, pulling it all together into a continually refreshed view of our customer & competitive landscape. The Strategy team also partners with operating leaders across the company on complex landscape & customer questions, and helps leaders align their priorities with Yelp’s strategic direction.
As a Team Lead on the Strategy team, you’ll lead a team of analysts, acting as a player coach. You should enjoy running your own analysis as much as mentoring and managing analysts in your team. You’ll be reporting to the SVP, Strategy, and working closely with leaders across Yelp’s functions.
We’re looking for someone with a knack for synthesis – the ability to find and integrate a broad range of qualitative and quantitative sources into pithy, impactful insights. You are a highly driven and proactive person with a record of high impact and achievement, eager to apply your analytical and creative talents to new challenges. You are a team player who is an excellent communicator, quick learner, and as excited about Yelp as we are.
Candidates must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to qualify for this role. See below for more information.
This is a full time role based in the United States.
Success looks like:
- Seen as a thought leader and utility player by the strategy team & internal leaders (product, marketing, sales, corporate development, biz ops, data science, finance)
- Viewed as a go-to person for landscape, customer and competitive insights
- Quality & timeliness of your strategic analyses and recommendations
- Positive feedback from internal partner teams, on both quality & impact of your insights, and the quality of working relationship
- Seen by analysts & SVP Strategy as a strong manager & developer of talent
Where you come in:
- You and your team will improve Yelp executives’ understanding of our landscape, via a robust landscape tracking process that synthesizes customer, competitor and landscape trends, formulates a POV on threats & opportunities, and provides regular executive updates
- You will effectively manage strategic projects requested by Yelp’s CEO and exec team, delivering clear insights and recommendations
- You will support periodic refreshes of our corporate strategy, based on Yelp’s progress and new landscape developments
- You will conduct deep dives to explore new opportunities stemming from our strategy and address follow-up questions or implications of our strategic direction
- You will work with leaders in product, sales & customer success, marketing, corporate development, biz ops, data science and finance to understand how key insights translate into operating priorities
- You will manage and develop a team of strategy analysts, with a thoughtful & effective approach to project management, performance management & career development
What it takes to succeed:
- 7+ years of relevant experience at a top tier consulting firm, corporate strategy group, investment bank, private equity fund, or technology company
- 2+ years of direct people management experience, including hiring, coaching, & performance management of strategy analysts
- Entrepreneurial or operating experience in product, marketing, or sales is a plus
- Quantitative undergraduate degree preferred; quantitative graduate degree is a plus
- You are an exceptional problem solver with the ability to transition between creative, integrative, and analytical thinking
- You are a motivated self-starter, with the ability to find creative solutions to complex questions
- You are an excellent team player who is comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- You know how to scope a problem, develop a workplan, and lead a team of analysts and stakeholders through an agreed set of milestones & deliverables
- You can synthesize detailed data into high-level insights and clear takeaways
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills; confident presence with senior executives
- You have superior hands-on analytical skills and expertise in Excel
- You have experience with (or ability to quickly learn) analytical tools including: SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics
What you’ll get:
- Effective your first day: Full medical, vision, and dental (100% paid employee only coverage)
- 15 days PTO (accrual begins on date of hire and increases with 2+ years of tenure thereafter), 7 paid wellness days, 12 paid holidays, plus one floating holiday
- Up to 14 weeks of parental leave
- Monthly wellness reimbursement
- Health Savings, Flexible Spending and Dependent Care accounts
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Compensation range is $127,500-$214,000. You may also be offered Restricted Stock Units and benefits.
You must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to be eligible for this role. Exceptions are made only where legally required.