WaitWhat is creating the most valuable independent portfolio of premium content IP that elevates human potential.
Downloaded more than 120 million times, WaitWhat’s media properties have defined new genres in the areas of business (Masters of Scale with Reid Hoffman), wellness (Meditative Story) and creativity (Spark & Fire). In everything WaitWhat creates, it aims to share hard-won wisdom from the most iconic people of day, to newer voices, sparking curiosity and helping us live at the top of our potential.
WaitWhat’s approach to content is unique in the industry, with a passion for inventing new business models and building inventive partnerships.
WaitWhat is seeking a proactive, data driven leader to support our financial objectives and ensure organizational financial stability. The Controller will oversee corporate accounting, tax matters, financial reporting, forecast and budgeting, updating of internal control policies and procedures, and financial planning. This person will come into WaitWhat with significant Day One responsibility and ideally has an organized, detail-oriented, and entrepreneurial mind, with a collaborative spirit and a strong sense of curiosity.
As Controller, you’ll work with a special, kind, and humble group of people to impact the world by creating and delivering premium content designed to elevate human potential. If you are passionate about finance, have a strong aptitude in tax and accounting, take pride in delivering excellence, and are motivated by leadership, ownership, and personal growth, we want you to join us.
- Oversee all day-to-day financial operations including A/P, billing, A/R, collections, employee expense management (currently Brex but exploring alternatives), month-end close, financial reporting, cash management, and payroll (PEO Administrator Sequoia).
- Oversee a consistently timely and high-quality monthly financial close process and prepare significant portions of internal and external reporting, including deliverables essential to support investor reporting and fundraising initiatives.
- Prepare periodic consolidated financial statements in accordance with GAAP and manage the delivery of consolidated financial statements to external parties, as required.
- Responsible for overall cash management and budgeting. Develop and update forecasts to project company performance and cash position.
- Provide support to the financial planning and analysis function to contribute to accurate, high-quality budgeting, forecasting, and performance reporting capabilities.
- Maintain capitalization table management platform (currently utilizing Carta).
- Ensure compliance with financial, tax, and payroll regulations in a timely way; advise management on needed actions when necessary.
- Communicate effectively with executive leadership team. Present highlighted financial information and flags areas where the team may want to seek outside input and guidance.
- Lead and manage an external accounting team through all major reporting and administrative activities, developing their understanding of WaitWhat as a business.
- Establish, review, update, and ensure full compliance with WaitWhat’s fiscal management policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Manage audits of WaitWhat’s annual financials.
- Partner with Talent and Operations on a variety of payroll and benefits administration activities, with accountability for certain employee benefits reporting and censuses.
- Analyze WaitWhat’s historical results of operations including budget to actual and year-over-year analyses.
- Support budgeting and forecasting activities. Produce medium-complexity models to understand the potential impacts of various capital allocation decisions on future performance.
- Maintain bank and vendor relationships in keeping with WaitWhat’s culture of openness, generosity, and collaboration.
- Proactively seek ways to continuously improve processes and practices that will result in easier, higher-fidelity financial reporting.
- Proficiently navigate fundraising and due diligence processes when they arise, which involve preparing a dataroom with full financial and operational information and helping create presentations that narrate WaitWhat’s financial milestones and trajectory.
- Engage capably with financial models and private company valuation exercises to help management visualize the implications of raising capital at different junctures.
- Perform additional duties and special projects as necessary.
- The role reports directly into the CEO with day-to-day oversight from a fractional CFO.
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience with at least 1 year in a supervisory role.
- Strong working knowledge of U.S. GAAP and internal controls.
- Proven experience with bolstering accounting systems, policies and procedures, and internal controls.
- Ability to build strong relationships with WaitWhat’s team members and executive leadership.
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills and proven problem-solving capabilities; demonstrated ability to improve and streamline processes.
- High proficiency in Excel, with an accompanying ability to explain models concisely.
- Strong organizational skills including ability to multi-task or manage multiple priorities.
- Willingness to adjust schedule during peak periods.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Complete adherence to confidentiality in respect to personal and proprietary information.
- CPA, though relevant experience may be considered equivalently.
- Experience working in a professional services firm.
- Systems implementation experience a plus.
PLEASE SUBMIT A THOUGHTFUL COVER LETTER AND RESUME.
We are headquartered and have an office in NYC but the team is distributed around the country so unless you need to be in an office with your colleagues, we are open to hiring anywhere in the US. The salary range for this role is $90,000 – $150,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably and in good faith believe we would pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, performance, and business or organizational needs. Candidates with expectations outside of this range or experience outside of the requirements listed are still encouraged to apply as there may be other positions that could be a fit.
We offer a benefits package that’s generous and competitive with larger companies. Benefits include unlimited vacation subject to manager approval, healthcare (PPO, vision and dental), short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and 401(k). We work startup hours, but we also rest. We’re an equal opportunity organization, committed to equity and diversity of all kinds — on our team, among our investors, and as represented on our media properties. Kindness and honesty are hallmarks of our culture and critical filters in our hiring process.