Shogun is on a mission to empower brands to create exceptional ecommerce experiences, and in the process, build the world’s best remote company.
Since being in the Winter 2018 batch of Y-Combinator, we’ve seen tremendous growth while intentionally creating a culture where people from all backgrounds can belong. Our company and products are informed by diverse, unique perspectives and the best global talent. We are fully remote, have no offices, and are looking for team members who are excited to work remotely.
We closed our Series A and B in 2020, and after raising a $67.5M Series C in 2021, we are scaling faster than ever. Join us to grow your career with our rapidly growing company!
For this position, we are looking for candidates located in the United States.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee all accounting operations on a day-to-day basis, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, technical accounting, general ledger management, tax compliance, cap table management, and financial reporting
- Create, maintain and enhance our business policies, accounting policies and financial controls. Develop and ensure effective internal controls and safeguards over company assets, and ensure compliance with contractual obligations and company policies
- Own and manage US and foreign entities’ compliance and filing requirements, including federal, state and local corporate income, payroll and other applicable taxes and licenses
- Manage year end financial audit and other financial compliance reviews as necessary
- Manage external relationships including bankers, insurance carriers, and tax preparers
- Respond to financial reporting requests from management and investors
- Build the in-house accounting function from scratch, partnering with VP of Finance on strategic and operational initiatives to optimize the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the broader accounting function. Hire, manage and develop a team of accounting professionals to enable the business to scale
- Own the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes and preparation of consolidated financial statements in compliance with U.S. GAAP including ASC606
- Apply technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP to monitor, evaluate impact, and implement new accounting standards and regulatory requirements
- Identify, implement and improve upon key accounting software for scale
What You’ll Bring
- CPA license
- 10+ years of experience in progressive accounting roles, leading and building an accounting organization, with 4+ years at a leadership or management level
- At least 4 years of public accounting experience with a Big 4 or nationally recognized accounting firm
- Recent experience as an Assistant Controller or Head of Accounting with a high growth SaaS or technology company is ideal
- Broad understanding of business processes coupled with operational experience covering all aspects of the monthly, quarterly, and annual close, internal, and external audits
- Deep technical accounting skills with demonstrated ASC 606/revenue recognition and consolidation experience involving international entities
- Familiarity with a startup environment including equity grants and cap table management
- Excellent knowledge in assessing, developing, and implementing internal controls
- Strong ERP systems experience, preferably with Quickbooks and NetSuite, with demonstrated ability to manage deployment of new software/accounting systems (e.g. Netsuite migration)
- Ability to multitask, work independently, think critically and problem solve structurally in an ever-changing fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with excellent and proven cross-functional and business partnering skills
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- Benefits (vary by location)
- A highly skilled and dedicated team that is fun to work with
- Remote work – We are a diverse and distributed team that uses Slack, Zoom, Notion and other tools to stay connected
- Work in the open: Operate with high integrity and choose what’s right over what’s easy. Be transparent as a company and with each other
- People are People: Treat yourself, colleagues, and customers with dignity, empathy, and respect. Start from a presumption of positive intent
- Win and grow together: Strive to be the best, individually, and as a team. Support and encourage each other. Seek opportunities for growth
Shogun supports workplace diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, or any other protected class.
Please refer to the position specific location requirements listed under the location section of the job description as we are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the mentioned location(s) without requiring employment visa sponsorship.