Our mission is to bring community and belonging to everyone in the world. Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. With more than 50 million people visiting 100,000+ communities daily, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. From pets to parenting, skincare to stocks, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, fast-moving, and thoughtful Consumer Communications Manager to join our growing Communications team. Reddit’s Communications team works cross-functionally and with leadership across the company to develop strategy, spot trends, develop narratives, mine for stories, news jack, and build up our thought leaders in an effort to shape the public’s perception of our platform and brand in the U.S. and globally.
Our Consumer Communications Manager will be a crucial part of a developing team — supporting our Director of Consumer and Product Communications (and the broader team when necessary) and driving/owning a number of work streams, including:
- Proactive and reactive press outreach;
- Storytelling around pop culture/internet culture + Reddit trends, communities and data/insights;
- Identifying angles and thought leadership opportunities;
- Carving out consumer angles for and supporting relevant product launches and cross-portfolio announcements; and
- Day-to-day agency partner management.
This is an exciting time for Reddit. We’re internationalizing, growing quickly, innovating daily, and aggressively tackling our mission to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to the world.
Who You Are
- Pop culture junkie
- Internet culture connoisseur
- Entertainment aficionado
- Armed with a POV on what’s happening in the world
- Morning show(s) viewer
What You’ll Do
- Identify on-platform trends and pop/internet culture moments for storytelling opportunities that showcase Reddit’s value to users.
- Proactively flag newscycles and trends to newsjack.
- Spotlight our local communities, content, and user stories.
- Stay up to date on entertainment, consumer, and social trends to identify and execute on proactive communications.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment in fulfillment of responsibilities.
Inside of Reddit
- Work closely with the Director of Consumer and Product Communications in building, executing, and measuring strategic communications related to the value Reddit provides to consumers with a main focus in the U.S., and potential work in markets outside of the U.S.
- Regularly refine, finesse, and evaluate consumer communications strategies to ensure maximum effectiveness. Pivoting in real time based on what’s working/what’s not working is crucial for this role.
- Develop press-related materials like media alerts/blog posts/announcements, pitches, media lists, executive press briefing documents, press kits, and internal emails. Help create helpful and clear messaging including Q&A and talking points for team members.
- Work closely with all Reddit Communications portfolios (Trade, International, Product, Corporate, Policy, and Safety, and Internal) to understand priorities and ensure aligned success.
- Partner with cross-functional partners/organizations to stay in the know and bring consumer stories to life: Partner Insights, Marketing Science, Community, Talent/Media Partnerships, Consumer Marketing, and others.
- Work with internal data teams to identify on-platform trends, data insights and storytelling opportunities.
- Support global and locally-based spokespeople and executives on their public speaking including training, messaging. and events.
- Lead regular reporting and team updates.
Outside of Reddit
- Co-manage our U.S. communications agency partner and serve as a day-to-day contact across all activity, including account management, contract renewals, and review cycles.
- Generate stories that highlight Reddit’s deeply engaged audiences around beauty, family, food, style/fashion, health/wellness, entertainment, sports, gaming and other consumer verticals.
- Quickly and successfully address inbound media requests in a tactful, pleasant and professional manner, in collaboration with agency teams as required.
- Educate media and regularly build and foster relationships.
What We Can Expect From You:
- Bachelor’s degree in PR/Communications or a related field.
- Six to eight years of experience in communications — preferably having worked extensively in the consumer space (some agency experience is preferred).
- Creative, proactive storyteller who is constantly looking for storylines and isn’t afraid to dig in and immerse themselves in content.
- Enthusiastic, thoughtful, self-starter with the desire to learn quickly and ability to go above and beyond, who seeks opportunities to contribute to the team’s broader success, and has an appetite for personal and professional growth.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, proven ability to identify trends, willingness to negotiate with journalists and collaborate with colleagues.
- Familiarity with the Reddit platform, our products, and business (ads).
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, detail-oriented.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- A love of the news and a fluency with news organizations, reporters and the various ways they communicate.
- Understanding of Reddit’s ecosystem and willingness to learn about the consumer landscape quickly.
Any of Reddit’s U.S. offices (SF, LA, Chicago, NYC) or remotely from within the U.S. The position is available remotely, and thanks to Reddit’s recent workplace policy, your location will not affect your pay.