Empower is a financial technology company on a mission to expand access to fair credit and give anyone in the world the opportunity to improve their financial security and mobility. Our vision is to underwrite the next billion people in the world using alternative data and machine learning to assess financial responsibility more thoughtfully and equitably. Through innovative credit products, offered in a user-friendly mobile experience, we’re making credit more accessible and inclusive and providing more people the chance they deserve to participate in our financial system.
Empower is backed by Sequoia Capital, Blisce, and Icon Ventures. Are we the next great place for you to increase your impact and accelerate your career? We think so:
Inc. ranked Empower #56 in the 2023 Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing private companies in the US (#55 in 2022). Forbes put Empower on its 2023 list of America’s Best Startup Employers. Fast Company recognized the new Empower Thrive line of credit in their 2022 list of the Next Big Things in Tech.
THE EMPOWER WAY
Great Expectations: We come up with bold, audacious goals for ourselves and go all out for impact
Owner Mindset: We give every employee latitude to act independently, make smart choices, and move the business forward
Spirited Debate: We love skeptics and seek counter opinions to challenge our personal assumptions and expand our view
Customer Obsession: We listen to understand, empathize, and create a memorable, rewarding experience for our community
Inclusive Collaboration: We believe diverse teams make the best decisions, and we strive to give diverse voices a seat at the table
No Jerks Allowed: We value our relationships and take the time to build trust and connection and communicate respectfully
WHAT EMPOWER OFFERS
Generous equity package
Full healthcare benefits
Technology expense reimbursement
Work from anywhere
As an Assistant Controller, you will report to the Controller of the company and will be responsible for preparing accurate and timely reports for investors and lenders. You will play a key role in ensuring our financial disclosures meet applicable standards, and you will collaborate with various stakeholders to gather and analyze financial data. As Empower is still a growing company, the ideal candidate would not be afraid to roll up their sleeves and dive into the weeds and participate in monthly and annual close procedures.
Travel for company offsites is expected at a minimum 2 times a year.
- Prepare and review financial statements, footnotes, and other disclosures aligned with GAAP standards
- Research, determine, and document appropriate company accounting standard application
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to collect and validate financial and non-financial data for reporting purposes.
- Conduct research and analysis to support disclosure requirements and disclosures related to significant events.
- Support external auditors and legal counsel during the audit and review process.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of internal controls related to future PCAAB standards.
- Collaborate with other finance and accounting professionals on special projects as needed.
- Support monthly and annual close procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- 3-5 years of public accounting and/or financial reporting experience.
- Strong knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Experience with working with external auditors.
- Excellent attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a proactive approach to identifying and resolving issues.
- CPA certification
- Financial services experience
- IFRS experience
$100,000 – $115,000 a year
At Empower, we hire for people that push themselves to understand others and seek out ways to challenge their personal assumptions. Our hope is that by fostering such an environment, we strengthen our business and relationships by putting people first. We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workspace where everyone (regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics) feels like they belong. Even if your experience doesn’t exactly match up to our job description, you should feel empowered to apply regardless!