What you will be doing:
- You will be part of the Product Creative team responsible for all creative content within the Discord product. The team is made up of Illustrator, Graphic Designer, 3D Artist, and motion Designer.
- Collaborate with the Product Design Team to produce diverse in-product creative assets, including spot graphics, character designs, stickers, background scenery, art, icons, objects and profile decorations.
- Collaborate with other artists, designers, and other team members to ensure cohesive and visually appealing design outcomes.
- Contribute to projects that enhance communication and self-expression for Discord users through captivating graphics and animations.
- Create multiple 3D works, also able to reproduce the current Discord Illustration style
- Stay updated on industry trends and advancements in 3D modeling, animation, and rendering techniques, and apply this knowledge to enhance the quality of work produced.
- Engage with Product Designers, product/project managers, and other partners to gather feedback and refine your work.
- Establish and communicate visual guidelines for Product Design Creative
- Collaborate with Animators to bring illustrations to life
What you should have:
- A portfolio showcasing relevant work
- 6+ years of design/production experience with an ad agency or in-house design team; in tech or gaming industry
- Proficiency in industry-standard 3D software (e.g., Maya, 3ds Max, Blender) and other relevant tools (Figma)
- Craftsmanship; proficient in 3D and able to create characters, creatures, props, and environments.
- Implement many styles, including Discord’s established illustration style
- Storytelling: unleashes bold, clever, funny, and delightfully unexpected solutions
- Lightning-fast execution, can gain support before investing in polish
- Collaborative, elevating and building upon others’ ideas
- Iterative approach, eager to explore creative avenues. Can provide multiple creative solutions to problems
- Fundamental design skills, including knowledge of typography, composition, and color
- Character design skills
- Experience creating design concepts and evolving them over the course of the project, while still being able to take creative direction from managers and clients
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $156,000 to $179,000 + equity and benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related experience or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!