Treehouse is looking for a Web Developer with experience in Ruby/Rails or a very similar framework and language (e.g. Python/Django). Web Developers at Treehouse are actively engaged in delivering a product roadmap that exceeds our students’ expectations and achieves our company’s mission of diversifying the tech industry through accessible education.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience executing on self directed work, writing code that meets our formatting and architectural standards and continuously working to self-educate about new practices and ideas in software development.
The person hired for this role will be comfortable taking initiative within projects and offering support to team members when needed. As a Web Developer at Treehouse, they will exemplify the rule “leave the code better than you found it” and demonstrate an increasing level of technical aptitude and ability to embrace software development best practices in support of department goals.
Key Qualification & Competencies:
- 3 or more years of web development, preferably with Ruby/Rails or in a very similar framework and language (e.g. Python/Django) or similar experience.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of advanced CS topics like testing practices, concurrent programming, and the basics of database management.
- Extensive understanding of good object-oriented design principles.
- Able to intelligently discuss design patterns, especially MVC-friendly ideas like presenters.
- Experience integrating and utilizing 3rd party libraries and tools
- Knowledge of web application security considerations and potential threats
- Experience working in an agile, cross-disciplined team environment with remote members
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
Not required, but nice to have:
- Experience using containerization and/or virtualization to deliver software (e.g. Docker)
- Experience leading projects and/or mentoring other team members
- Deliver Results – Execute on self directed work related to the team’s iteration commitments.
- Solve Problems – Does independent information gathering and problem solving. Is skilled at root cause analysis.
- Build in Quality – Writes code that meets our formatting and architectural standards. Will occasionally perform code reviews. Works to improve the quality of our code and architecture while implementing their other tasks; exemplify the rule “leave the code better than you found it.” Actively contributes to the automated test suite to increase coverage.
- Leadership – Sphere of influence impacts their immediate project team. Takes initiative within projects to tackle moderately difficult challenges and offer support to team members when needed. May occasionally be expected to lead team project planning and retrospectives.
- Professional Growth of Self and Others – Continuously works to self-educate about new practices and ideas in software development, leadership and other applicable topics. Mentors apprentice and junior engineers that are following established professional development plans.
- Bring Trust and Dependability – Consistently meets commitments for their own work deliverables. Provides accurate and consistent work status and effort estimates. May occasionally leads small projects and initiatives related to their team’s project work. Effectively communicates and partners with team members and manager to achieve individual, project and team goals. Effectively works in a distributed team environment. Demonstrates the ability to adapt as the external environment and organization evolves.
- Live Treehouse Mission and Values – Actively strives to support and demonstrate the Treehouse Mission and Values in their daily work life.
At Treehouse,our mission is to build, support, and develop balanced, diverse, and inclusive teams who are passionate about our company mission and empowered to do meaningful work. We are invested in creating, measuring, and holding ourselves accountable for a thriving employee experience ecosystem that results in a positive company health score (an internal measure we use to gauge employee happiness and belonging).
In addition to innovative, exciting and meaningful work, Treehouse team members enjoy:
- Health Care: Medical, dental and vision.
- Retirement: Company matches up to 6% of salary if elected. Fully vested from date of enrollment.
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- Group Long-Term Disability
- Flex Spending: Medical / Dependent Care
- Holidays: 9 paid holidays plus a 1-week shutdown in December
- PTO: Treehouse offers a self-managed PTO plan. Employees do not accrue PTO or have a cap on the number of PTO hours that can be used in a calendar year. Instead, employees are extended trust and the flexibility to self-manage PTO to best fit individual needs and preferences.
- Wellness allowance: $250 per month to invest in items and activities that contribute to your overall wellness
- Education: Reimbursement of up to $1,500 per calendar year for expenses related to education
…. and more!
Treehouse provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion don’t just make Treehouse a great place to work, it’s at the center of our work. Our mission is to diversify the tech industry through accessible education and in order to do that we believe in forming diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self and feel a real sense of belonging and purpose. We encourage folx from underrepresented backgrounds in tech and different industries to apply.