As team rewards and relations manager, you will partner with the senior vice president of people operations to design and implement coordinated strategies for HRIS, total rewards, performance management, and team-member relations.
You will support team members in reaching their full potential and contribute to Mercy For Animals’ mission by fostering a culture that is aligned with the organization’s values and creates a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and engaging work environment for all.
You will do mission-critical work:
- Conduct annual compensation reviews to ensure adherence to our compensation philosophy
- Prepare and produce semimonthly payroll for Mercy For Animals USA and monthly payroll for Mercy For Animals Canada
- Update state withholding and unemployment tax rates as required
- Prepare and distribute annual W2s for Mercy For Animals USA and T4s for Mercy For Animals Canada
- Review, assess, and implement benefit plan(s)
- Manage COBRA enrollment and reporting, ACA reporting, and all leaves of absence
- Partner with the senior vice president of people operations, the legal team, and regional operations managers on the creation, review, and update of all people operations policies and procedures, including handbooks
- Assist in the investigation and resolution of team-member relations issues and complaints
- Update, manage, and streamline HRIS to maximize end-user adoption, utilization, and satisfaction
- Manage all system-related onboarding activities, including enrolling in Namely payroll, processing required paperwork, and ensuring compliance with worker authorization rules and regulations
- Manage all offboarding activities, including calculating final pay, processing required paperwork, severing email and online access, requesting return of equipment, and scheduling exit interview
- Maintain team-member deduction elections for 401(k), 401(k) Roth, and flexible spending accounts and associated annual compliance reports
- Respond to and meet with team members who have questions about their benefits, personnel files, and internal team conflict resolution in a timely and courteous manner
Your qualifications will take the organization to the next level:
- Three to five years of experience in human resources, specifically payroll and benefits administration, performance management, team-member relations, and HRIS management
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field, or equivalent additional years of experience
- PHR, SHRM-CP, or equivalent certification (preferred)
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state employment and payroll laws and practices, specifically California employment law
- Ability to clearly explain laws, regulations, policies, and procedures to team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with effective listening skills
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I am very detail oriented, with a sharp focus on quality of work. A good communicator with strong interpersonal skills, I enjoy collaborating with others. I have a proven track record of personal ownership and managing expectations. I’m vegan and passionate about creating a better world for animals.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $48,000–$55,000, depending on qualifications. Our paid time-off policy, including 20 vacation days a year, staff-appreciation days, holidays, and sick leave, is as generous as our no- or low-cost health insurance. We also offer a 401(k) plan, not to mention a collaborative and innovative work environment.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications, so be sure to clearly convey in your cover letter your general fit for the role. A few things we would love to learn about are professional experience, internships, volunteer work, and side projects, as well as your overall alignment with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization, and we value diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability are encouraged to apply. We are committed to providing an inclusive, positive, respectful, safe, and supportive work environment where equal opportunities are available to all team members.