Glitch is looking for an experienced Vice President (VP) of Engineering to establish Glitch as one of the major consumer and developer brands in technology. Glitch occupies a unique space bridging coding, design, creation, expression, media and culture, all supported by a truly distinctive brand sensibility and identity, backed by an uncompromising set of values. In this role, a VP of Engineering will help Glitch serve its community and the internet by helping our company manage and grow its diverse, inclusive and distributed engineering team.
The VP of Engineering will direct and oversee our global engineering team. Our ideal candidate has a unique and strong engineering background and work experience managing a highly technical team of software and infrastructure engineers. We are looking for a strategic and innovative thinker who will ultimately be able to ensure that Glitch engineering’s activities contribute to the long-term success of a meaningful leader in the technology industry.
What you will do:
- Lead, mentor and inspire distributed and inclusive engineering teams to perform at a high level and deliver world-class products
- Design and execute processes that enable our engineering teams to collaborate efficiently and effectively on complex cross-organization projects
- Collaborate with the product team during planning phases, owning the technical strategy to deliver features across the company in a predictable timeframe
- Manage the execution and delivery for all product and engineering
- Own the internal communications about progress and strategy
- Provide leadership, guidance, and practical advice on a wide range of technical problems
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on transparent communication and measurable results
- Recruit, develop, and scale a talented technology team committed to developing innovative solutions aligned with the company’s business model, values, and vision
- Implement an effective organizational structure that balances process, accountability and scalability with product velocity and innovation as Glitch continues to scale
We’re looking for a leader who has:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related technical field
- 15+ years relevant technical experience
- 7+ years directly managing and building high performing engineering teams
- Track record of shipping quality products, solving complex problems, designing creative strategies, and delivering significant impact as a manager and a leader
- Experience managing successful engineering teams including recruiting a diverse and inclusive team as well as performance management (experience with remote or distributed teams a plus)
- Ability to prioritize and manage across multiple, often time-sensitive initiatives
- Exceptional organizational, communication, and leadership skills
- Capable of technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and server infrastructure
- Passion for fostering a strong, inclusive engineering culture that spans everything from hiring practices to architectural decisions to code reviews
We’d be particularly delighted to hire someone with:
- Expertise with the web as an evolving platform, including deep familiarity with Node, ESNext, and other common technologies for modern web development
- Experience scaling an application to handle millions of users
- Experience with AWS or other cloud providers
What to expect when you apply:
- Your application will be reviewed by a real human. We do look at every application that we receive and sometimes this means it may take us a few weeks to get back to you.
- You will hear from us in an email. After each phase of the interview process we contact each candidate to let you know whether or not you’ll be moving on to a next step.
- Qualified candidates will be invited to an introductory video call with a member of the hiring team. The goal of this step is to get to know you and learn more about your professional and personal experience and ambitions.
- If you are selected to move on, we invite you to a round of interviews with several of our team members. This interview stage typically lasts 3 hours. Finally, we hold what we call our Operations Interview where you’ll have an additional video call with our head of HR and our COO. This conversation is intended to help us understand where you are in your job search process and answer any questions you may still have about working at Glitch.
- If you are selected for this role, you will receive a detailed offer letter that includes salary and compensation information and you will be given an opportunity to discuss this offer with our COO.
This position reports directly to Executive Leadership, CEO and COO, and is based at our office in Lower Manhattan, though we’ll happily consider US remote candidates as well. While our office is in New York City, about half of our employees are all over the US and the world. When you work at HQ, you’ll be in a brand new office, carefully and thoughtfully designed to give each person both private and collaborative work spaces. You’ll be part of a remote work culture where all of our meetings are online and apps and tools like Slack and Google Hangouts are the normal way to communicate. Remote workers never end up struggling to hear a meeting where everybody in the office forgot that someone was on the other end of a speakerphone.
We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. Compensation is $225,000 – $250,000 plus stock options. We practice salary transparency and make our compensation clear and understandable. Glitch intends to set the standard for thoughtful and ethical technology, and you can learn about our values and how we run our company by reading our public employee handbook on our Careers Page.