Ahrefs is looking for a Site Reliability Engineer with deep knowledge of Linux and distributed systems to help take care of its distributed crawler and ensure all systems are up and running 24/7. Working experience with bare-metal servers and ability to participate in daily on-call rotation are required.
Our system is big part custom OCaml code and also employs third-party technologies – Debian, ELK, Puppet, and anything else that will solve the task at hand. In this role, be prepared to deal with 250 petabytes of storage (across several clusters), 3,000 bare-metal servers, experimental large-scale deployments and all kinds of software bugs and hardware deviations on a daily basis.
If you possess a healthy desire to automate everything while being able to quickly resolve urgent issues manually, then we want you! We strive to keep humans away from doing repetitive jobs that can be done by computers and focus instead on foreseeing problems and defining programmatic means to handle them.
- Deep understanding of operating systems and networks fundamentals
- Practical knowledge of Linux userspace and kernel internals
- Working experience with bare-metal servers
- Participation in on-call rotation (6 hours every weekday + one weekend per month)
- Work in (one of) US or SG timezone
The ideal candidate is expected to:
- Understand the whole technology stack at all levels: from network and user-space code to OS internals and hardware
- Independently deal with and investigate infrastructure issues on live production systems including dealing with hardware problems and interact with datacenters
- Develop internal automation – monitoring, setup, statistics
- Have the ability to foresee potential problems and prevent them from happening. Apply first-aid reaction to infrastructure failures when necessary
- Help developers with deployment and integration
- Make well-reasoned technical choices and take responsibility for it
- Approach problems with a practical mindset and suppress perfectionism when time is a priority
- Setup automatic systems to control infrastructure
- Possess a healthy detestation for complex shell scripts
- Be ready to work in a small team and take responsible independent decisions
What You Get
- Competitive compensation package
- Informal and thriving work atmosphere
- Above-average perks and fringe benefits
- [Office] First-class workplace (hardware, software, etc) in the modern office
- [Remote] Hardware allowance
Ahrefs does not engage with agencies or third party recruitment solutions for the roles we hire for. If at any point we need help, we’ll let you know!