Roofstock is the leading marketplace for investing in single-family rental homes. Our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective and simple. We want to use technology to transform the way real estate is bought and sold and make real estate investing as simple as investing in stocks. Simply put, we are passionate about helping our customers build wealth through real estate.
Roofstock has been recognized as a Great Place to Work® and was recently named to the Forbes Fintech 50 and the Red Herring 100 lists of most innovative companies. Roofstock has raised over $135M to date, is based in Oakland, California and Dallas,Texas with approximately 180 people and is growing rapidly. Check out our reviews and see why our employees love working here!
We’ve built an amazing culture where everyone has a voice. We’re nice. We get things done. We have fun. We believe in work-life balance (yes, you can really take a vacation). And our values are pretty B.A.D.A.S.S.
Be customer obsessed.
Act like an owner, because you are one.
Don’t be afraid to break things in the pursuit of better.
All of us are empowered to do the right thing.
Stay curious and create what’s next. Fast.
Seriously. No jerks.
As a Data Scientist/Sr. Data Scientist you will develop models and write code that solves a diverse set of business problems. You will work closely with product and other business teams to solve challenges across the company in a high-visibility role. This is an excellent opportunity to join an established but small and quickly growing company working on a wide range of projects with talented data engineers, data analysts, and other data scientists in an integrated Technology organization.
What you will do…
- Build conventional statistical/econometric models for inference, and prediction focused machine learning systems that address:
- Buyer segmentation, propensity modeling, & marketing automation
- NLP and image recognition to extract signal from property listings
- Property classification and ranking
- Property recommendation, matching, and personalization
- Economic modeling of property valuations, capital expenses, repair, maintenance, and operational expenses like tenant churn
- Data mining for opportunity qualification
- Work with structured and unstructured datasets
- Write robust well-documented code, operating on a modern cloud stack (AWS and Azure)
What you will bring….
- Masters or PhD in statistics, computer science, economics, physical or quantitative social science, or a similar quantitative/computational field
- 5-10+ years of industry experience (4+ for MA/MS) shipping advanced statistical/ML models
- Proficient in R and/or Python and their related data science ecosystems; experience with other languages/packages (e.g. Matlab, JMP, Stata, etc.) a plus.
- Fluency in the language (both words and equations) of statistics, econometrics, and machine learning, and a clear ability to translate technical points into everyday language for general audiences
- Expertise in a significant mix of the following estimation methodologies: OLS/GLS/MLE and regularization of same; time series and panel techniques; design of experiments; censored, truncated and discrete data methods; method of moments; nonparametric and semiparametric estimation; model diagnostics; machine learning modeling (SVM’s, neural nets, boosting, random forests, bagging, and CART); Bayesian estimation; geographic and spatial modeling; and, most importantly, a clear understanding of how to match the technique to the data and the business problem.
- Engineering skills: ability to write quality code that runs on servers.
- Ability to work independently, rapidly prototyping and testing new ideas
- Drive to solve problems, meet deadlines, and build whatever is necessary along the way
- Experience understanding the strengths and weaknesses of different modeling approaches and can effectively reason about when to apply different combinations and iterate
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise within cross-functional teams
What We Offer:
– Competitive compensation
– Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (65%)
– Flexible time off and sick days
– Supplemental bonus to support “work from home” office needs
– Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future
– As a remote team we are an upbeat and collaborative work culture
– Virtual company-sponsored outings
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.