Beat is a ride-hailing mobile app that is transforming the way people move in their cities and beyond. With just a tap of a button, riders can expect a car to their location within minutes to take them where they need to go.
We started our life as “Taxibeat” in Europe, circa 2011. In three short years we expanded our operations to Peru, where we provide millions of rides every single month. Nowadays, we’re present in Greece, Peru, Chile and Colombia—with many new market launches planned within the coming months. Our great success was attested by the acquisition from Daimler A.G. in 2017. As we continue to grow, we remain committed to offering an affordable, safe and efficient way for people to move throughout their cities.
Our ride forward
Our people are the secret to our success. That’s why we are constantly growing our world-class operations and engineering teams. We have a product focused and engineering centric culture. Our teams are focused on developing projects related to carpooling, automated pricing, advanced route planning by using microservices, machine learning and artificial intelligence (just to name a few).
Sounds exciting enough? Find out more about this role below and let’s get started on transforming the future of urban mobility together!
About the role
Our Big Data team is an essential ingredient in Beat’s aggressive growth plan and vision for the future.
As a Senior Big Data Software Engineer in our team, you will tackle some of the hardest problems and your work will impact the entire Beat experience, from making sure drivers are always available for all our customers, to helping our drivers utilise their working hours. Our team moves very fast, so you’ll have the opportunity to make an immediate difference.
With the various tools and communication technologies we’re using, you’ll feel connected to your team from wherever you are in the world. Our remote workforce always has the option to travel to our headquarters for meetings, events, and team bonding—or they can join virtually. Whatever works best for you and your work style.
What you’ll do day in day out:
- Work with the data science and engineering teams in translating complex models and algorithms into production-grade software systems.
- Develop components that will analyse, process and react to operational feeds in near real-time, optimizing driver allocation, optimizing service pricing and preventing fraudulent use of our services in near real-time.
- Being agile both within and across teams, bridging software engineering and data science.
What you need to have:
- At least one Master’s degree in Math, Physics, Computer Science or Engineering. Higher degrees are a significant bonus as is considerable experience with Machine Learning, Statistical Analysis, Big Data Analytics in the industry.
- At least 5 years of experience in developing production-grade software using either Data Warehousing, Big Data or Machine Learning frameworks in order to solve real-world problems.
- Experience in developing with Scala and/or Python at an idiomatic, expert level is required. Knowledge of advanced Java or C++ is a bonus. We would favour candidates with an exceptionally strong engineering background and deep knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms and current frameworks for their application to vast datasets.
- At least 6 years of experience with SQL.
- Proven hands-on experience with Apache Hadoop, Spark, Spark Streaming. Familiarity with Tensorflow or CNTK is a bonus.
- A strong sense of ownership in your work.
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills with an excellent eye for detail working with qualitative and quantitative data.
- The desire to build, launch and iterate on quality products on time with minimal technical compromises under a loosely-managed working environment.
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary package
- Flexible working hours
- High tech equipment and top line tools
- A great opportunity to grow and work with the most amazing people in the industry
- Being part of an environment that gives engineers large goals, autonomy, mentoring and creates incredible opportunities both for you and the company
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Beat is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, colour, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.