We’re building the best bank account in the world. We believe there should be an alternative to the banking of the past: we help our customers better manage their finances through beautiful and intuitive digital tools. We want to replace the terrible user experiences that you are forced to use whenever you log into your bank, and get rid of unfair fees and poor customer service.
Monzo is the lead challenger bank in the UK. In the last few years, we’ve built a banking app with extremely high daily engagement and an NPS that’s consistently above 70. More than 5 million people (10% of UK adults) have a Monzo account. We’ve raised over $1 billion from YCombinator, Stripe, Coatue, Eric Schmidt, Mike Moritz and others – most recently at a $4.5bn valuation. Our competitive advantage is that we operate like a tech company in a space where software has not yet eaten the world – for example, we built our own core banking system from scratch!
We’re just getting started in the US. Your work will shape our entire product strategy as we expand into our first international market. We’re a small team operating like an early stage startup but with the financial, operational, and engineering platform muscle of a larger company. We’re focused on launching an amazing US product, shipping and iterating quickly, and finding product market fit. We’re looking for highly driven, enterprising people to help us achieve our mission to make money work for everyone.
Internally, we encourage an open, collaborative, inclusive working environment. We contribute to open source software, and we continually engage with our wonderful community. We’re hiring talented, creative problem-solvers to help us build the bank of the future. Join us!
About the Role
We’re looking for outstanding engineers to join our rapidly growing US product team. We have big ambitions in the US, but we’re just getting started and you will be joining at a formative time. As one of our first US-based engineering hires you will have a rare and exciting opportunity to shape the product, the launch, and the team we hire.
You will be a key member of our small but passionate Product squad and will help us launch Monzo in the USA and ultimately will contribute to building a brand new money management product in the USA. You’ll be developing features that make money “just work”, for example you might help us connect to new payment schemes, develop new budgeting tools, build joint accounts or work on internal tools to protect us from fraud.
Experience working in small teams or at early stage companies, and being comfortable with ambiguity and working independently will help be successful in this role. If you’re looking for a role that gives you the opportunity to take on a wide range of responsibilities, with a high degree of autonomy, then we want to talk to you!
This position will report to the US Head of Engineering
- Designing, building from scratch and implementing large-scale payment systems within digital banking industry;
- Designing, project-planning, and building from scratch critical components of payments infrastructure for U.S. payment schemes;
- Conducting medium and long-term planning of payment scheme integrations and enhancements;
- Communicating with senior non-technical stakeholders;
- Establishing technical direction for payments strategies, and advising on when to build feature(s) in-house or use 3rd-party;
- Coordinating / collaborating with Engineering Managers and Tech Leads as applicable;
- Identifying and scoping manual work being generated due to expansion of payment products as well as building tools that automate or support such work;
- Leading incident resolution as needed;
- Assisting with onboarding new engineers or mentoring junior engineers to help ensure they follow industry and company best practices;
- Representing company at conferences / events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems(IS)/Management, Finance, Commerce or a related field plus four years of full-time work experience in occupations in financial systems, payment and banking technology or related occupations
- Specialized Qualifications/Experience to include:
1) Designing bespoke, high-scale financial systems, including core banking ledgers, payment scheme integrations and reconciliation;
2) Go programming language and Cassandra database;
3) Microservice architectures;
4) Design of fault-tolerant distributed systems (e.g. payment processors);
5) U.S. automated clearing house (ACH) file and payment processing systems;
6) Dual-message debit card network processing systems (e.g. Mastercard)
- We support full remote work from anywhere in the US. We also have an office in downtown San Francisco, where we optionally meet twice a week for meetings, teamwork and socializing.
- 🏥 Great Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 💲 Competitive salary
- 📈 Stock Options
- 💰 Generous 401k with 4% employer match
- 🏝 32 days of vacation and public holidays per year (and we require that you take all of your days each year as we believe that well rested employees are more effective!)
- Maternity / Paternity leave
- We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Snippets of Monzo Culture
- Our mission of financial inclusion: We want everyone who wants one to have access to a Monzo bank account, along with information to help them make good financial decisions
- Default to transparency: How transparency is key in the ways we work and serve customers
- The Monzo Tone of Voice: How we use our voice to cultivate clarity, positivity, and approachability
- Gambling block: At Monzo, we focus on helping vulnerable customers
Our interview process consists of an initial call with our Head of Engineering, followed by a coding, systems design, and behavioral interview with engineers and leaders from our team. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions. Learn more about our interview process here!
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.