We are currently seeking a media relations specialist to manage our storytelling on public policy and other critical issues across North America. The ideal candidate has a successful record of managing strong press relationships and has a solid knowledge of the issues that sit at the intersection of technology, politics, and government. The person chosen thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven working environment. The ideal candidate brings solid know-how and passion relating to issues such as free expression, data protection and privacy, cybersecurity, protecting elections, and other emergent political issues in the tech area. They will be comfortable with both creative and data-driven approaches and have an expert ability to navigate complex issues at scale and speed.
The candidate must be operationally rigorous, self-disciplined, and organized. This role requires the ability to explain the dimensions of Twitter’s product strengths and strategic vision to the media and to provide briefings and media analysis reports to both Twitter’s communications and public policy teams.
This role will report into the Sr Manager, Privacy, Developer and Data Communications in San Francisco and provide support to both the Corporate Communications and Policy Communications Teams.
What success looks like:
- You will foster excellent professional relationships with media and policy influencers across North America
- You will be an excellent digital and traditional media strategist, understanding how Twitter’s online presence can enhance its reputation
- You will be diligent in your written and verbal communication, producing a consistently high standard of materials for press and other stakeholders
- You will cultivate strong relationships with both the public policy and communications teams across the region
- You will provide crisp information and analysis on complex issues for multiple audiences
- You will have a keen interest in the integration of Twitter’s core product offering into political, media, and policy debates
- You will use data to inform and shape your approach
- Cultivate ongoing media relationships with press, in particular top-tier national, technology and DC public policy/politics reporters
- Develop and execute reactive and proactive communications plans using all channels: interviews, blog posts, statements, Tweets, video, etc.
- Support your comms colleagues, informing them on media issues that may arise in your market
- Maintain a strong level of administrative and operational rigor, producing reports, analysis, and data on Twitter’s position in the media debate around important issues
- Serve as one of Twitter North America’s main points of contact for day-to-day queries from press
- Maintain a strong level of administrative and operational rigor, producing reports, analysis, and data on Twitter’s position in the media debate around important public policy issues
What you need:
- A bachelor’s degree and/or masters qualification
- Professional fluency in English.
- 5-7 years communications experience including media relations in technology, government, campaigns, and/or politics
- Excellent writing, editing, and messaging skills
- Good humor, humility, and high levels of empathy
- Great organization skills, attention to details and ability to manage multiple projects at once
- An understanding of current events related to policy, technology, and internet culture
- A global mindset and an ability to work with different cultures, perspectives, and attitudes
- A thoughtful, considered, and compassionate approach to your work and colleagues
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, pressurised environment, and to meet deadlines consistently
- Flexible, amiable, a good colleague, and a strong, committed collaborator.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.