PlayQ is a rapidly growing global entertainment and technology company delivering high-quality mobile titles and innovative game development solutions to a worldwide audience. Our games have been downloaded more than 60 million times across the globe, with millions of users playing every day!
Our dedicated teams, based in downtown Santa Monica, CA, work together to craft the clever, visually stunning, and unforgettable experiences that our players love. Our emphasis on individual leadership means each team member has the opportunity to make a big impact, while our commitment to creative freedom gives them the ability to create whatever they can imagine.
It’s this mindset that has led us to develop our own IP, infuse games with rich storytelling, build our own development tools, and solve the deepest technical challenges – all in the name of disrupting the mobile gaming landscape.
PlayQ is looking for an outstanding Level Designer (Contract) to create compelling match-3 puzzle content for our world-class hit mobile game “Charm King”. This position will work remotely, using a proprietary suite of tools to craft and test game levels that are fun, challenging, and appealing to a broad range of players.
The ideal candidate is creative, organized, diligent, and eager to make their mark in the popular and competitive casual puzzle game space. Success in this role requires a team player with a love of puzzle games who enjoys the creative challenge of exploring the limits of existing game mechanics and features to their fullest, both individually and in combination.
Samples of designed levels in previously shipped games is requested.
This is an off-site, contract position with competitive hourly pay, based on experience. The position requires 40 hours per week, which includes drafting, editing, playtesting, and revising match-3 levels.
- Use tools to create, test, tune, and implement compelling puzzle levels by fixed deadlines and according to specified requirements regarding difficulty and feature usage
- Perform additional playtests and prepare data and feedback for puzzle levels created by other level designers
- Organize levels according to defined difficulty curves
- Ensure level content is displayed and behaves properly on mobile devices
- Remain ‘up-to-the-minute’ current on casual puzzle game genres and competitive titles
- 1+ years of professional game design experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Understanding of core mechanics, game loops, and meta-game systems gained by being an avid player of puzzle games
- Game balancing experience through previous development
- Familiarity with level tuning processes and practices
- Willingness to accept and provide constructive criticism
- Ability to effectively manage time and work efficiently in a remote capacity and within a deadline driven environment
- Proficiency with Google Apps for Business (Mail, Docs, Sheets), and other software (Slack, Dropbox, Trello, etc.)
- Puzzle level design experience on at least one shipped title
- Hundreds of mobile casual puzzle games levels (e.g. Match-3) completed across multiple top games
- Knowledge of up-and-coming games and trends in gaming across mobile, PC, and console
- Ability to analyze, understand, and articulate what contributes to quality puzzle level design
- Design and create levels that will be played by millions of users
- Work remotely with flexible hours
- Collaborate with an exceptionally talented, knowledgeable, and supportive team!
Interested? Please get in touch!