The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of personal experience in people’s heads, or buried in books and research papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge, and we’re building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
The People Team at Quora is responsible for supporting the company in pursuit of our mission. We aim to hire and retain world class employees and to create an environment where they can do their best work. We strive to be innovators and leaders in our field. Our work is more important than ever as Quora transitions to being a remote-first company.
About the Role:
Quora is at the beginning of one of the most exciting chapters in our company’s history. We’re transitioning to a remote-first culture, with employees working from across the globe, collaborating on our mission to share and grow the world’s knowledge. We’re looking for a highly motivated, professional Head of Remote to help us lead this charge and help us design a remote-first culture. We’re not aiming to recreate the same experience we had when we were all in the same building together — we’re looking to create something much better. We want our remote-first culture to be a significant competitive advantage when it comes to recruiting, retention, and execution as a company. The Head of Remote will have an enormous impact on the future of the company at a pivotal moment.
- Lead the creation of a high performance remote working culture by developing remote-first operating principles, norms, and policies for the company
- Consult on all recruiting and HR policies across the entire employee lifecycle in order to make them world class in a remote-first world
- Help build a remote environment where employees are motivated to do their best work and where we can still leverage the informal interactions and brainstorming that drive innovation
- Promote cohesion among employees by experimenting with and implementing company events, tools, and programs to bring people together in a remote-first world
- Document and evangelize our remote-first culture to employees and to the outside world, helping us recruit and retain high performers from across the globe
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora’s “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 2+ years of professional experience working in related roles (e.g. business consulting, office operations, human resources, employee communications, or event management)
- Experience working at a company with a significant remote workforce
- Excellent problem solver and clear strategic thinker
- Collaborative team player with outstanding interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a fast-paced team, cross-functionally, and collaboratively
- Experience creating and managing companywide events and programs
- Experience setting policies for a remote workforce
- Experience working at a fast-paced technology company
- Experience working remotely for a company
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.