We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 100 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 100,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
You will help Calm decide where to deploy its resources to maximize long-term strategic value. You will work with Calm’s leadership team to assess the risks of Calm’s current strategy and identify emerging trends that will impact Calm’s business and unlock new opportunities.
You will research, shape, and inform strategic decision-making across Calm’s business. You are a generalist who can step into any domain and add value, however your primary focus will be on corporate strategy, business development, and product innovation.
You will accelerate Calm’s growth through identification, evaluation, and execution of new investment, partnership, and acquisition opportunities. You will also partner with the exec team to generate, validate, and incubate new product and business lines.
- Create a platform and repeatable practices to rapidly identify and validate new high-impact businesses, products, lines of business, and investment opportunities
- Lead Calm’s venture investments, M&A, and incubation of new products and lines of business
- Build thought leadership on the future of the health and wellness industry and potential impact to Calm’s overall strategy
- Establish a competitive intelligence function that providing reliable insights to the competitive landscape
- Benchmarking Calm’s performance and positioning in the overall health and wellness market
- Develop an internal investment framework and process to standardize the evaluation and execution of strategic investment and partnership opportunities
- Build operating and financial models to evaluate new opportunities and their projected return on investment
- Own end-to-end business development execution, including due diligence, negotiations, and post-closing integration
- Overall business athlete who is comfortable partnering across Calm’s multiple functions – engineering, product, marketing, content, creative, B2B, G&A
- Strong product and technical skills, transaction execution experience, and a proven ability to tackle hard, ambiguous problems with rigor and independence
- Finance or investment background (investment banking, VC/PE, corp dev, management consulting)
- Prior startup founder and/or product incubation experience strongly preferred
- Experience with consumer businesses in a product, marketing or operating role
- Strong business and financial acumen to facilitate strategic planning, business reviews, market assessments, and financial analyses of investment opportunities
- Strong executive presence and leadership skills to effectively work cross functionally in an effective and collaborative manner with team members across the organization
- Significant experience analyzing large, complex datasets and deriving actionable insights
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills; ability to explain complex issues in simple terms
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple equipment
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more!
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.