In 2018, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Wave’s mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, & Tanzania, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We recently piloted sending remittances to Nigeria and are looking to rapidly expand throughout Africa in the next year. That’s where you come in…
How you’ll help us achieve it
After growing steadily via word-of-mouth and grassroots marketing campaigns, we’ve begun using Facebook and Instagram advertising to speed up our growth in certain markets. 2019 will see us open new corridors from North America and Europe to Africa, demanding more nimble growth than we can keep up with via our grassroots work. We’re ready to double-down on our online efforts and, as hire #1 on Wave’s growth marketing team, you’ll be the person to shape and own them.
In leading and implementing our digital marketing strategy, you’ll:
- Add hundreds of thousands of Wave users in 2019
- Build Wave’s growth marketing strategy to drive growth in specific diaspora communities
- Design and iterate on targeted Facebook and Instagram advertising campaigns
- Create original content for social media that expresses Wave’s product and mission
- Coordinate with the growth team as they generate content for social media from the field
- Explore other paid online platforms, including AdWords, Play Store, and App Store advertising
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France or Belgium.
- Length of position: Permanent.
- 25% travel expected.
- Major benefits:
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- Native or fluent English
- Local work authorization (wherever it is you’d like to be based)
- At least two years experience managing Facebook and Instagram campaigns with six- or seven-figure annual total spends
You might be a good fit if you
- Have a led and implemented a successful growth marketing strategy at a growing startup
- Enjoy designing original content (graphics and videos) for social media
- Possess a bias toward action and testing, and are analytical and intellectually curious in your approach to finding the best solution
- Are creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
Bonus points if you
- Have experience using other forms of paid marketing (Google Ads, SEM, etc…)
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve
- Speak French fluently
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa -working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces- making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2018, we’ve been to Vancouver, BC (Canada), Lisbon (Portugal), Austin, TX (USA) and Burlington, VT (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please applying here and include a resume as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you chose to identify and whatever background you may have, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.