Medium’s purpose is to deepen people’s understanding of the world, and to promote the spread of worthwhile ideas by today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers. We’re an open platform where 170 million readers come to find insightful and dynamic thinking. We’re creating a new model for digital publishing and for creators. One that supports truth and facts, nuance, complexity, and vital storytelling without giving in to the incentives of advertising.
To accomplish this mission, we’ve assembled a fantastic team of technologists, designers, editors and business people. Our People Operations team are stewards of our unique culture, responsible for finding, growing, and inspiring our diverse Medians. We’re looking for a strategic and experienced, yet execution focused Director of People Operations to join us as we scale and to help us become an even better workplace. This is a unique opportunity to drive impact in a dynamic company that is growing its core platform while expanding into new geographies and markets.
What will you do?
- This role reports to Medium’s VP, People. We’re looking for candidates based anywhere in the United States, with the ability to travel periodically when our offices in San Francisco, New York and Paris reopen
- Own the strategy and implementation of processes, programs, and policies that enable the People Operations team to operate effectively, while delivering a simple, seamless and intuitive user experience for employees
- Lead, coach and inspire a talented team of People Operations Generalists, Facilities and IT professionals. The IT team manages help desk requests, employee onboarding/off-boarding, internal systems and cloud services, and office data networks
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners such as Recruiting, HRBPs, Learning, Payroll, Legal and Finance to define objectives, accountabilities, success metrics and shared processes
- Drive operational and technology enabled processes for the entire employee lifecycle, including new hire onboarding, IT provisioning, office and remote work experience, employee questions and support, mobility, payroll, changes in status, and company exits
- Manage People related systems and tools, including HRIS, ATS, LMS, engagement, compensation and employee support, ensuring Medium is taking the best advantage of systems automation, scalability and value-added tools and services
- Manage systems and data access, audit data quality, test new functionality and reporting, and trouble-shoot system issues
- Provide operational and technical support for ongoing People programs such as performance and compensation reviews, engagement surveys, learning programs and DEI efforts, as well as milestone events such as M&A and expansion into new geographies
- Assess existing People and IT programs, processes, and practices. Identify gaps and inefficiencies, and drive innovative solutions to enhance the employee experience
- Own and drive all HR compliance processes and audits. Balance having a great employee experience with delivering on all compliance and legal requirements
Who are you?
- You are an accomplished HR Leader with 8+ years of People Operations experience. Ideally you have at least 4+ years of experience leading and developing high performing teams
- You’re both a strategic thinker and someone who will not shy from rolling up your sleeves to clarify competing priorities, provide guidance, and execute with purpose
- You are obsessed with user experience and set high standards for yourself and for your team
- You’re a People systems and technology expert, and are accustomed to structuring problems and analyzing data to get to actionable insight
- You excel at driving efficient, repeatable processes that generate consistent results, and are a systems thinker who readily connects the dots between need and solution
- You have demonstrated success in leading significant cross-functional initiatives for which there wasn’t an existing playbook
- You have strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills. You’re a dependable team player with a composed executive presence
- You enjoy establishing, fostering, and maintaining strong relationships across the organization at all levels
- You have a strong technical background, especially with cloud-based HR, IT, and SSO systems and how they can be integrated to automate recurring tasks such as new hire account provisioning
- You have a strong understanding of HR fundamentals. You understand the technical side of HR, such as compliance and employment law requirements
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive and fun, yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of differing opinions. We particularly welcome conversations with candidates from historically underrepresented groups in technology and media.
We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through first principles reasoning and rigorous testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of publishing and social discourse. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.
Please note that communication regarding your application, interviews, and job offers will only come from e-mail addresses ending in”@medium.com”. Anything else is not a legitimate outreach.