InVision is the digital product design platform used to make the world’s best customer experiences. We provide design tools and educational resources for teams to navigate every stage of the product design process, from ideation to development. Today, more than 5 million people use InVision to create a repeatable and streamlined design workflow; rapidly design and prototype products before writing code, and collaborate across their entire organization. That includes 100% of the Fortune 100, and organizations like Airbnb, Amazon, HBO, Netflix, Slack, Starbucks and Uber, who are now able to design better products, faster.
InVision is seeking a Director of Design Research & Strategy to lead our growing user research team, and guide the pipeline of research workstreams that inform the roadmap for InVision’s products.
The ideal candidate will be fluent and capable of coaching others on how to turn knowledge into insight and insight into actionable directions by deploying a mix of quantitative and qualitative research methods. Working closely with Design, Product Management and Engineering teams, you will leverage customer insight to guide the direction of InVision’s platform, and identify opportunities to improve the experiences of current and prospective products. You and your team will work closely with cross-functional teams through all stages of development, from identifying initial opportunities to refining the user experience to analyzing the impact of our efforts and highlighting improvement areas. You should have solid instincts about when to hold the line on methodological rigor, and when to adapt to the changing demands of a project.
What you’ll do:
- Scope, plan and oversee the execution of a pipeline of research workstreams that inform product roadmaps and decision-making. This pipeline will range from downstream usability feedback to upstream design research focused on 6-24 month product strategy.
- Partner with product leadership to prioritize research initiatives on an ongoing basis.
- Be a player-coach, at times coaching your team members, designers, PMs and engineers to conduct user research, and other times conducting the research yourself, depending on the project.
- Manage, mentor and develop a team of 2 researchers who can lead research initiatives and processes across the overall research pipeline.
- Build processes to organize your extended team of recruiters, internal researchers, PMs and Designers to collect customer feedback and insights on an ongoing basis.
- Operationalize and evangelize more consistent customer exposure and empathy across the company by developing tools and methods for all disciplines (from sales to HR) to interact more consistently with customers — in service of making better, more customer-centric decisions.
- Aggregate insights and data into a cumulative knowledge base that everyone in the company can tap into. Ensure Product, Design and Engineering team members are familiar with insights to date, to reduce duplicative work and make sure we’re building on our past insights.
What you’ll bring:
- Genuine sense of curiosity and passion to translate complex data into concise and compelling findings to inspire the design of InVision’s products.
- Design-orientation: an ability to work seamlessly with designers, product managers, and engineers, with demonstrated mastery of creating and communicating insights that are actionable and resonant with those collaborators.
- Strategic synthesis: ability to put customer feedback and insights into the context of business and technical strategy, synthesizing all three (desirability, feasibility, viability) to get to strategic recommendations of what to do, not just what customers said.
- At least 8+ years of experience in a research or design strategy related field, including experience leading and managing teams.
- Experience with a range of research methods ranging from usability testing (moderated and unmoderated sessions, customer surveys, in-line feedback tools e.g. hotjar) to strategic design research (qualitative in-context interviews, uncovering unmet needs, early concept feedback, analogous inspiration)
InVision offers an incredibly unique work environment. The company employs a diverse team all over the world. Each InVision team member is given the freedom and tools to do their best work from wherever they choose.
The benefits we offer in the United States and Canada include competitive health plans and retirement plans. Some InVision-wide benefits offered to all employees across the globe include a flexible vacation policy, monthly coffee shop stipends, annual allowances for books related to your profession, and home office setup & wellness reimbursements. InVision is an international employer so some benefit offerings will vary from country to country.
InVision is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.