Hypothesis is seeking a Customer Support Engineer to join our product delivery team and lead our work to help our users and partners use Hypothesis successfully. This role combines the activities of user support, support engineering, and documentation to ensure Hypothesis technologies and services are supporting our vision of a world where annotation is as common as comments, but more useful and engaging. Join us as we extend what the web can do.
Location: Remote with preference given to candidates between UTC-8 and UTC+2
About the team
Hypothesis is a small nonprofit with big aspirations. We work with publishers, educators, journalists, and scientists to unlock new capabilities and workflows on the web.
We are a diverse, supportive, highly collaborative, 100% remote team of technologists, educators, scientists, and business people working together to bring new capabilities to the web. We code in the open (our repos are public and liberally licensed) and help drive standards for annotation. We communicate via Slack, video chat, GitHub, and Google Docs across 8 time zones.
About the role
In this role, you will take ownership of ensuring people and organizations are successful and satisfied using Hypothesis. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Maintain effective communications with people that need help with Hypothesis from first contact to successful resolution.
- Troubleshoot and identify solutions to issues reported by Hypothesis users and partner organizations.
- Engage deeply and directly with Hypothesis technologies to investigate and resolve issues working with Product Delivery team members, including making contributions to code, UX design, tests, and documentation.
- Steward our knowledge base and other guidance to help expand internal and external knowledge of Hypothesis technologies and practices.
- Work with a multi-functional team and communicate proactively to resolve issues.
- Work with our Programs team to support Hypothesis implementations, onboarding, and expanded use.
- Gather statistics and help identify priorities for product and service improvements based on end user issues and experience.
This role reports to the Engineering Manager.
You are someone who loves problem solving. You value simplicity over complexity. You take great satisfaction in helping others be more successful and productive and wouldn’t think to move on without documenting your work so 6-months-from-now you (or anybody else for that matter) can drop back in and understand it.
Skills and experience you possess:
- Solid basic knowledge of programming. Proficiency is not required.
- Familiarity with Learning Management Systems.
- Previous experience in a customer-facing role.
You will be successful at Hypothesis if you:
- Are tenacious, self-directed, and highly motivated
- Are committed to excellence and improvement
- Are easy to get along with
- Have previous remote work experience
- Have strong time management and communication skills
- Have strong problem-solving skills
- Can communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues (especially important in a remote organization)
- Have an approach to your work that allows for growth and change
Does this sound interesting? Drop us a line to tell us what about this role intrigues you and why you think you would be great for Hypothesis. Resumes are helpful, but so are examples of your recent work. We can’t wait to hear from you!