Since 2001, Wikipedia has become a beloved part of the internet. Every month, 1.5 billion people rely on its content. It has inspired a movement of free knowledge projects that are available in 299 languages, maintained by 200,00 volunteers, and supported by the Wikimedia Foundation. We’re on a quest to set knowledge free. For anyone to understand anything. For anyone to share in the sum of all knowledge.
But we can’t do this alone. Working with designers, filmmakers, artists, global brands, TV shows, fashion designers and more, the Wikimedia Foundation collaborates to share the story of our movement. We’re looking for a creative specialist to help us make even stronger brand collaborations. We need to increase awareness, understanding, and affinity for our brand through strong creative collaborations. Help us inspire the world and grow free knowledge!
Mission-driven, creatively strategic, culturally-oriented professional…
- You have a healthy relationship between dreaming and doing, theory and reality. Basically, you talk the talk but also walk the walk.
- A culture junkie. Avid reader, movie goer, gif giver. You naturally pay attention to pop and sub culture trends and dig deeper to understand the energy behind the trend.
- Excel at defining a vision, marshaling resources, executing on an initiative and presenting the results.
- A people person. To you a room full of people = opportunity. You pride yourself on understanding people’s motivations and being able to speak their language.
- Driven to create new opportunities not wait for them to come your way.
- Expert written and verbal communicator, with the ability to articulate abstract creative concepts
- Create and implement a framework of why and how we as a brand conduct external collaborations.
- Develop a strong network/list of inspiring and mission driven individuals, brands, and collectives who we can reach out to when the time is right.
- Each month recommend/pitch 3+ potential new brand collaborations that align with key goals and audiences.
- Work with other internal departments on how to enhance their projects by incorporating a brand collaboration.
- Manage each phase of a collaboration from ideation to implementation with both foundation staff and the external collaborators.
- Inspire team members, especially the creative team, to develop big ideas and co-create exceptional creative assets with the collaborator so the project reaches its highest potential.
- Manage and work with the communications team to ensure any internal and external messaging about the collaboration is powerful, accurate and aligned with all collaborators.
- Attend networking events, creative festivals, exhibits, talks etc where you will be inspired and be able to build relationships with potential collaborators. But most importantly be able to turn these inspiring moments and conversations into an actionable partnership.
- Manage at least 2-3 brand collaborations at any given time
- Review and manage incoming requests for brand collaborations.
Qualities that are important to us as a team
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
- Proven record of successfully representing and growing a brand through collaborations.
- 4 – 6 years of brand development, partnership/ collaborations.
- A portfolio of 3+ brand collaborations that you managed
- Willingness and ability to travel, and flexibility to work throughout the week and weekend when needed
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record